Sharing my profile between 2 XBox 360 Slims

Hello all,

Thought I'd check here, given that all the info I could find through Google appeared to be about older non-slim models.

I have a 360 Slim in the living room. I'm also really considering getting one for the bedroom, since we just upgraded our TVs and I can play from the comfort of my bed. Wondering if it is possible to move my profile back and forth between the two consoles, with minimal to slightly above-minimal effort. USB hard drive, thumb drive, etc. I want to be able to pick up my games where I left off (most important) and keep my achievements (moderately important).

SO, just to verify, both consoles would be using my profile, not any other profiles. I mention that, since there is a similar question, but the poster is asking if game saves can be moved BETWEEN profiles: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/152959.aspx

Both machines can be online if that helps.

Appreciate any help you can provide. I'd really like to make this work.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

Well a Compatible configured usb flashdrive would work. Also, the new update from xbox thats coming out sometime on dec 6 (tomorrow for me) futures "Cloud Storage". No one is really sure how that truly works yet because its not out yet. I pulled this from a BETA REVIEW on a different website. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS ACCURATE: Xbox Live profiles are now universally accessible from the cloud. Players behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall also have access to cloud based storage for save games -- a boon for gamers who migrate between consoles you wont have to  spent 10 mins recovering your account or transferring to another storage device such as a USB flashdrive , You could also Move HDD's back and forth between both of your slims. Hope this is helpful

-Sage

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Wow...great to know I have options! :-D I did not realize that recovering your gamertag was a process that took that much time. Never had to do it. Also didn't realize a flash drive was still an option.

So, does this sound about right in terms of "easiest" to "hardest"....or at least least annoying and time consuming to most?

1) Recover from the cloud (Theoretical, requires Gold, etc.)

2) Move profile back and forth via Flash Drive (Seems it likely only takes a few mins to go back and forth)

3) Recover gametag through the console, and then back to the other console, etc. (Seems to require the most time)

Sorry this didn't help.

Right now I think the best option is the Flashdrive then cloud when it becomes Available throughout Xbox live.

Keep in mind with flashdrives you never know what will happen ( i have not had a problem with mine yet) Just make sure its compatible. when you go to configure it, it will erase everything on the flashdrive and format it. It will tell you if it is compatible, and once its configured. Its configured. You only have to do it once and it will work through out any console. Just configure it on one console and it will be ready for all the Xbox 360 consoles in the world :)

With some flashdrives that are not Compatible. some like to "Crash" or  "Unformat itself" It will tell you when you format your flashdrive if its good. Transferring Profiles is easy as cake. If you want to transfer Gamesaves, I reccremend COPYING them to the flashdrive, not MOVING them because if the flashdrive crashes you still have your gamesave on your HDD it came from. IF it does crash with your profile on it, it can be recovered. but gamesaves are NON recoverable

:))

Sorry this didn't help.

Also: like I said Moving your HDD back and forth is another Idea if both consoles are the same console (slim and slim) not (slim and Original Xbox 360 ) You'll be able to keep all your gamesaves and stuff on one storage device. Just make sure the console is off before plugging in or taking out your HDD> Just another thought. :D

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh yeah....great point. Was going to respond to that, but it was way past my bedtime and my brain wasn't functioning.

I guess I didn't realize how easy it was to remove the HDD. On the old XBox, it was fairly obvious, but I didn't think it was that easy to do it on the new version. Looked up a video and, what-do-you-know.....easy.

I'll have to try that one to see if it makes sense in the long run (is the HDD meant for taking in and out many times, will the enclosure and/or connections hold up, etc), but good to know about the flash drive. Oh, and THANKS for the tip about COPYING vs MOVING. Hopefully if I ever lose any profile or gamesave info, it will only be the difference from when I last played from the HDD of the other box.

Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Last question, and then I'll let this thread go to thread heaven...

I copy my gamesave over to a flash drive and play on box #2 for a few days. I then copy the new gamesave info from the flash drive back to box #1...

...What happens to any achievements that I had while playing from the flash drive on box #2 (The "extra" box that I don't use as often as the one in the living room)? Do they automatically update on my gamertag once I start playing from the main box again?

Just wondering. Perhaps a reason to favor the HDD method, if your achievements don't update.

Thanks again. Looking forward to playing XBox in bed.

Sorry this didn't help.

The achievement progress is on the profile. as for the gamesaves. Say you are playing Fallout 3 on Xbox #1 and you want to play on Xbox #2 in bed with the same Gamesave. COPY the fallout gamesaave to the flashdrive on Xbox #1 and goto Xbox #2 and plug in the flashdrive. When you start Fallout 3 It should ask you which storage device do you want to do. Just click the flashdrive one (If you do not get a popup asking what storage device you want to use. Im pretty sure its in the options menu on fallout 3. Then When you want to go back to Xbox #1 and play fallout using the save on the flashdrive, You can put the save thats on the flashdrive onto the HDD of Xbox #1 and overwrite the old save and your most recent save is on the HDD now. In a way, Moving HDD's back and forth seems Easier and Aslo less likely to *** up.

By putting your profile on the flashdrive, ALL of your Achievement Progress goes with it, Achievements are saved on the profile itself. Also Achievements are saved on Xbox live servers. therefore if your account gets corrupted or needs to be recovered, you still have all of your achievements. If you earn achievements OFFLINE and your account gets corrupted in some way, and you need to recover it from Xbox live. your achievements will be reverted to the last time you connected to Xbox live. For example: I have 10000 Gamerscore ONLINE. I go and earn 100 Gamerscore OFFLINE(Im not Connected to live) . My account gets Corrupted and i need to recover it. When the recovery process is complete instead of having 10100 Gamerscore i have 10000 Gamerscore and the achievement i earned offline is now locked again. This is because when you earn an achievement ONLINE It saves (With a date and time) to the Xbox Live servers. When you earn an achievement OFFLINE(NOT CONNECTED TO LIVE) Your achievements are saved directly to the profile and if the profile gets corrupted you have to recover your profile from Xbox live and it will give you the most recent profile save that they have on their servers. I probbaly just Confused the heck out of you :)

Anymore questions?Just keep posting them here and ill try to answer them. :D

Feel free to add me on Xbox live if you like :))

-ELEM3NTzSAGE 

Sorry this didn't help.

Fantastic! I really appreciate all the help. Your explanation makes PERFECT sense. I've been on PS, PS2, and PS3 for ages, but am fairly new to the 360. I'm also very new to getting online, as it never really appealed to me before...but I'm discovering a whole new world, mainly with the music and TV/movie services, but also with some game content. Now, new is the fact that I'd actually have two of these boxes, so I appreciate the info and advice.

The fact that I can maintain my achievements if I make sure I'm signed in is very nice. My wife and I spend a good deal of time trying to get as many of the achievements as we can in all of the Lego games we play (don't laugh), and I'm close in Bioshock and BS2. (Not sure why the recent games under my avatar is not nearly updated...oh well). Would be bad news to have to start over.

I think I'll try the HDD method just to play around with it, but I have a feeling that I'll be sticking with the USB method. Between the little pull tab on the HDD that feels like it can rip at any time, and all of the play and "squishiness" of pushing the HDD back in...I just don't feel as comfortable moving it back and forth. The connection doesn't feel solid...definitely not as nice as the non-slim version.

Besides, the 4GB SanDisk "Cruzer Blade" that I tried out last night works perfectly, and it is so small that it is close to flush with the front of the system. I'll remember to copy the game save to the USB drive, and then back to the main console when I'm done playing the alternate.

THANKS!! You've been a huge help! I've marked all your answers with 5 stars.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your welcome, Again feel free to add me as a friend and if you have any other questions feel free to ask, Ill probably be able to answer most of them

Happy Gaming! :))

-Sage

Sorry this didn't help.