severe lag!

sooo, i seem to get massive lag whenever my roommate jumps on the internet. when he gets on the computer i go down to about 2 bars, when hes on his ps3 i go down to one bar. it pisses me off that it cuts me out and not him. my xbox is located in my room and the router is located in the kitchen literally 15 feet from me with a wall between us. ive tried connecting directly to the router and it still stays the same. any solutions? also i do the test on the network settings and i have full strength. it only appears to lag in game. it never did this at my previous house and the router was located further away and condtantly had 4 people on the internet all day.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Hi,

This will be down to the size of your internet connection and whether your router supports QoS.

Can you run www.speedtest.net and www.pingtest.net and copy paste the results in your next reply and also let us know the make/model of router you are using and if wireless which wireless adapter are you using?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="MasterMikeJ"] i seem to get massive lag whenever my roommate jumps on the internet. when he gets on the computer i go down to about 2 bars, when hes on his ps3 i go down to one bar.[/quote]

What "bars" do you mean? Do you mean the "quality bars" inside the game you're playing, or do you mean the signal strength bars on the dashboard when you look at the wireless LAN signal strength?

As for you lagging whenever your roomate is doing "something" on the internet:

Think of your internet connection as a highway.

Game data is usually very small, as it has to quickly travel through the internet to a lot of other players. So imagine game packets being small Italian sports cars.

When there is no traffic on the highway, your game data can "put the pedal to the metal" and zip along the road at maximum speed.

Now imagine that your roommate is now starting a Torrent download or streams You Tube videos or does other bandwith intense activities on the PC.

To stay with the highway analogy, your small car now has to navigate through chaotic oncoming traffic with large trucks occupying all lanes. Despite your fast sports car, you have to slow down and weave through the trucks barreling towards you.

When your roommate is on the PS3, he's also probably playing an online game. So your sports car "only" has to dodge similarily small oncoming traffic.

And keep in mind, that your internet connection only has a limited bandwith. If the traffic exceeds the limits of your internet connection, some traffic needs to be slowed down. Or as a senator once said: "The internet is a series of tubes". If you have a small kitchen sink faucet it will take a long time to fill up a bathtub with water. If you have a fire hose, the bathtub will be full more quickly.

[quote user="MasterMikeJ"]it never did this at my previous house and the router was located further away and condtantly had 4 people on the internet all day.[/quote]

Maybe your previous house had a "fire hose" connection to the internet, and your new home only has a "normal faucet".

Sorry this didn't help.

This is an issue you would need to bring up with your service provider.

Sorry this didn't help.