Service

Hello,

I've got a question. Where is the time that companies didn't ask money for everything? Where is the time that companies thought it was totally normal to give away free options for customers when they bought an expensive product? Why I ask this questions? Well, I'll try to explain. Today I bought an Netflix subscription, so I could watch movies etc. with an x-box app on my television, but what happened? I can't use the Netflix app, because I don't have x-box live gold. That's rediculous! Wouldn't it be strange if I couldn't download apps on my telephone, because I didn't have Android Gold?!

Final question; why isn't it free to use apps on your x-box? Why isn't that a service, like it's normal on a phone, that you get when you buy a product as expensive as an x-box?

Thanks!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

When was the time that consumers did research on products or services before buying the? That is my question to you.

Xbox Live is an all encompassing service. It has been that way since the 360 launched. The features and apps are part of the gold service. Will these change in the future when X-One comes out, maybe, maybe not.

If you didnt have a carriers subscription plan, would you still be able to download those apps on your phone?  SO it is not normal on a phone as you state. And a good number of smart phones today are MORE expensive than  Xbox consoles as well.

Now, if you would have done a minutes worth of research, you would have found that you would have needed gold to play Netflix on the Xbox. So i chalk that up to not being a very good consumer, or actually a REALLY good consumer when it comes to corporations viewing you.

[quote user="Bluntman1138"]

If you didnt have a carriers subscription plan, would you still be able to download those apps on your phone?  SO it is not normal on a phone as you state. And a good number of smart phones today are MORE expensive than  Xbox consoles as well.

[/quote]

I agree with the majority of your post apart from this. To make a phone plan comparable to the OP's rant, one could argue that your internet subscription should suffice. You are right though, OP should have done a little research into what he/she was buying prior to purchase. I'm pretty sure at the bottom of the screen when signing up to Netflix it states a Gold subscription is required. On another note, I will be making a swift return back to PC gaming shortly, with the cost of service being one of the underlying reasons. Not that I'm short of a few quid for a subscription I'm just in favour of gaming online for free. Especially when the service constantly flows with the Call of Duty crowd and many older games are left unsupported without notice, internet explorer is part of the gold subscription as is youtube and the lack of dedicated servers on high profile titles is dreadful. Hopefully, the lack of dev fees involved with the service for the next-gen will have a direct impact on many of these things for the better however I won't be prepared to make the purchase before it happens. This is the first time in 9 years I've let my account drop to silver and I've no intention to renew as of yet. 

Before I get bashed, I'm not anti-Microsoft in the slightest, you've only got to see my gaming activity to see that and I will continue to purchase future releases for the 360. I just don't intent to purchase the X1 unless I'm convinced it's the right purchase for me!

I agree with the OP mostly.

-

With Microsoft heavily marketing both the 360 and Xbox One as the entertainment hub of your living room, it seems a very odd choice for them to lock off most of the entertainment apps behind the Gold subscription.

-

Though not their own video and music services, which can be used by Silver members...odd that.

I think someone should be able to use Netflix with a sliver account.

[quote user="BizarroMantis"]

I think someone should be able to use Netflix with a sliver account.

[/quote]

I completely disagree with that statement.

If he wants to use netflix then he will need to comply with the mandates like all the other users.

[quote]

I completely disagree with that statement.

If he wants to use netflix then he will need to comply with the mandates like all the other users.

[/quote]

He's not asking for exclusive rights to use Netflix without a Gold subscription. The point is EVERYONE should be able to use Netflix along with other services, without a Gold subscription. 

[quote user="Grovesy1988"]

He's not asking for exclusive rights to use Netflix without a Gold subscription. The point is EVERYONE should be able to use Netflix along with other services, without a Gold subscription. 

[/quote]I believe that it should be the same across all devices and systems as it is on xbox. Paywalls ensure users exibit proper behavior.

That's a little too much control for my liking.

xbox should allow Netflix with silver, that's lame.