Serial Number on my controller is too long?

I would like to register my new Xbox 360 Controller on the Xbox Online Service Center.  I assume that the location of the SN hasn't changed recently (ergo it is still under the bar code under where the battery pack powers the controller), but the number appears to be 2 digits too long.  Am I just a total moron and this really isn't the SN?  Or if not why will it not fit into the designated text box?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 134 Applies to:

I had the same issue when I bought a new controller.  When I called phone support they said that you didn't need to register the controllers.  But it would probably be wise to keep the receipt handy just in case.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your input.

I don't care if I need to or not, I WANT to so if something goes wrong with it like it did with my last controller I can get a replacement without spending $50 (because for some reason they haven't lowered the price of controllers on a last-gen system).

It just feels like a big "screw you" from Microsoft because they don't want to have to replace any controllers.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. My son's brand new control does not work. Now they want me to register it before they will assist. But the serial number is to long. Am going to loose lot of money because the lapse in waranty that is only 3 months. Any one that can help?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, PumpkinMage13! This thread is a bit old. To register your controller, you simply need to register your console and it will be there under accessories. If you need further assistance, please contact support again and they can help you register your console. If you need assistance with any other support issue, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've already completed so we can address you individually. :)

Sorry this didn't help.