Sega Admits to "Deceiving" Customers over Aliens CM Advertising

SEGA admits Aliens: Colonial Marines trailers were misleading

03 Apr, 2013

SEGA has admitted that the trailers and advertising material for Gearbox Software's critically panned Aliens: Colonial Marines, which launched in March and I reviewed for STN, were quite misleading. It comes after a reddit user complained to the UK's Advertising Standers Agency about the discrepancies between the final article and promotional videos.

Reddit user 'Subpardave', who was anything but in this case, stated this reasons for the complaint weren't for financial gain and that he wasn't looking to be compensated in anyway: "My aim was not to get fines, compensation or any of that. Gearbox and Sega spoke very clearly - by saying absolutely nothing - and showed the purchasing community that they would rather this mess all quietly disappear."

"I submitted my complaint based on the absurd differences between the 'in game' and 'playthorugh' footage that was widely used to advertise A:CM. Of course, the game looked and played NOTHING like what was shown to consumers.

"The games industry - like any other - needs to be held accountable for blatantly deceiving the consumer. And doubly so when a wall of silence is the only response to resounding criticism for shipping a shoddy product, having shown off one with all the bells and whistles."

"The ASA has little real power. But negative press? That does."
The ASA contacted SEGA and Gearbox to get their side on the matter and then published their reply in the written statement to 'subpardave' : "We contacted Sega Europe to discuss this issue. They explained that their online trailers used demo footage, created using the in-game engine."

"Sega Europe acknowledged your objection that the trailers did not accurately reflect the final content of the game. They agreed to add a disclaimer, both on their website and in all relevant Youtube videos, which explains that the trailers depict footage of the demo versions of the game. The disclaimer will be visible when each online trailer is played."

You can read through the entire Reddit post here- which includes a scan of the ASA/SEGA statement.

Not that any of us were really surprised to here this, but good on SubparDave for making them finally admit it. The Demo I played at EGXP last September sold me on the game, and instantly new on playing the final release that it was not the same....level...as the demo

Source = http://www.shopto.net/news/42345/SEGA-admits-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-trailers-were-misleading/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Good for him..... while i did enjoy the game (Aliens movie fanboy), i could clearly see that it wasnt of the standard we had previously been shown.

Yeah, because altering the trailer now is going to make a difference. For what it's worth I quite enjoyed the game.

It has always puzzled me why game developers are allowed to produce adverts with "not actual game footage" on it.

bioshock infinite is one of those currently being shown on tv that has this statement right from the start of the ad.

-

If film makers advertised their movie with a disclaimer saying "not actually in the movie" i bet it wouldn`t be allowed.

What Sega and Gearbox did, was not only use DEMO footage as actual final release footage both in Ads and game trailers, but the demo's they had people playing at events such as the EGXP in September last year, was on Game demos that didnt reflect the final version of the game.

-

It would be like taking you for a test drive in a Lambo only to have a Fiesta delivered to your house with a Veyron badge on it

-

The damage has been done and the disclaimer does little now, but the fact they have been forced to admit the lie means much more for both Sega and especially Gearbox, who personally failed me with Borderlands 2 and then Aliens CM

not enjoyed a alien games since alien trilogy on ps1 so did not bother with this will wait  till the price is very low.

The thing is, the game wasn't really bad (IMO). Below average yes but the difference between demo and release enhanced the poor areas. I wouldn't have liked to have paid full price but the game is worthy of a rental or a bargain bucket purchase.

I didn't think the game was that bad. I've played worse.

Im so glad i didnt get this game. I thought AVP was bad enoth. Sega games just bore me now so i no longer get them the last sega game i got was Sonic Episode 1 and that will be the last.

[quote user="Epic Louie"]

I didn't think the game was that bad. I've played worse.

[/quote]Really?!? what was that?

-

I can't for the life of me remember playing a game that was worse then this....maybe on previous generation I could potentially find one, or hell, back when I used to play on my Amiga, but I'd put that down to different standards at a different time.

-