Security

My account was hacked a couple of months ago and I got it back recently with 2 free months of xbox live which is ok.  Problem is that 1 charge went through and I was told by support to have my bank dispute it.  I did but Microsoft went and claimed it was a proper charge so I got stuck with it still.  They sent some documents to my bank as proof of sale which my bank sent to me.  The papers had my full credit card number on it and it was improperly blacked out so it was legible, it also had my name, address, ect.  On top of that I received it already opened.  I canceled my card and had the fun experience of changing all my accounts and payments to my new card.  I have made many complaints about it but have yet to hear back from anyone about it.  All I was offered was 1 free month of xbox live for my trouble.  10$ for my credit security being compromised is complete crap.  I've also been trying to get the interest on the charge removed and not been helped at all.  I was given the run around so many times from so many different people that my head is still spinning.  I was even told my account being hacked was my fault by one person, yet none of my other accounts were hacked and I have never tried to do anything with my xbox account till after I got it back.  I finally got some help from my last call and this man solved my problem with interest and told me about the feedback going to upper management.  All it took him was 5 min and some actual effort.  This man is a saint and should be in charge of everyone that way someone competent can make sure everyone else is doing their jobs. 

What I really want is to know what is being done about lack of security and effort to protect your users credit card numbers.  After the playstation network being hacked and their security being compromised one would think more would be done to protect their own users.  Unless I get some answers and some satisfaction I will be dropping my xbox service along with everything Microsoft that I own.  I will also bring this to the attention to everyone I know and do everything I can to get them to drop xbox and Microsoft as well.  I am tired with the lack of care and effort put forward by the support staff.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey Oatacus, I just want to let you know that there has been no breach to the security of our Xbox LIVE service. In recent cases, some Xbox LIVE members appear to have been victims of malicious scams. Unfortunately this is something that affects many Internet based services. The online safety of Xbox LIVE members remains of the utmost importance, which is why we consistently take measures to protect Xbox LIVE against ever-changing threats. If you ever have further issues or questions, please let us know, and we'll do everything we can to help you out. :-)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

First things first.  Read the whole post!!!!!!!!  Second, you cant brag that you pride yourselves in online safety when more accounts are being hacked than ever.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Mister Fitzer -- it may help in your response that you simply do not cut'n'paste the 'company line' in response to what is a customer's concern regarding the reported unauthorized access of their account.  It's rather insulting and lacks a certain sensitivity to the overall matter.

“Microsoft can confirm that there has been no breach to the security of our Xbox Live service. In recent cases, some Xbox Live members appear to have been victims of malicious scams,” a spokesperson said. “Unfortunately this is something that affects many Internet based services.

“The online safety of Xbox Live members remains of the utmost importance, which is why we consistently take measures to protect Xbox Live against ever-changing threats.  However, we are aware that a handful of customers have experienced problems getting their accounts restored once they’ve reported an issue,” the company added.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, what I really want is to know about my whole credit card number being sent through the postal system thus compromising my credit security even more.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Oactacus regarding your Credit Card information, you'll need to contact them (Credit Card Company), and have them cancel that previous card, and have them send you a new one. - With a new card being issued to you, you'll have a different number. When you explain your situation with the Agent, they'll most likely go under investigation.

Sorry this didn't help.

I still believe MS has not been hacked, if it had, wouldn't the 300 million active Hotmail accounts that pale in comparison to the 30 million or so Xbox LIVE accounts also be at a greater risk?

Also Microsoft can be as safe as houses, but your own computer needs to be safe too.  Millions of machines are out there in wild chocked to death in viruses, malware, Trojans and worms.  These security risks on your own computers can just as easily steal log in details for any website as phishing, social engineering and scams do.

Then there is the problem of users using the same email address and password for every website they ever visit.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="oatacus"]

On top of that I received it already opened. 

Ok, what I really want is to know about my whole credit card number being sent through the postal system thus compromising my credit security even more.

[/quote]

Really? You're going to complain about MS sending your CC number through snail mail? Your credit card company already does that when they send you your bill each month. 

Account security is not just MS's responsibility, it is EVERYONE'S responsibility. 

There are a limited number of ways anyone can gain access to your account:

-you give out your personal information including e-mail and password (this is most commonly associated with people trying to obtain an illigitimate rank in a game without actually earning it)

-you are phished (this is common amongst the free ms points/generators that you see offered around the internet)

-you are socially engineered (this happens when a player engages another in seemingly senseless chit chat about their lives, but turns out to be a 20 question
session trying to gain your personal information so they can steal your account)

-you use an unsecure PC (typically you will want to have your encryption turned on if using wireless and be running a good anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-
malware program as well)

-you use the same e-mail address and password for your XBL account that you use for other websites/services (for maximum security you should be using an
e-mail address and password just for XBL that you do not use anywhere else)

-you thought it would be a good idea if your friends/family knew your log in information (you know, in case they want to play)

In addtition to the above the following are ways someone can get a hold of your credit/debit information:

-if you don't shred your mail (bank/credit statements) before you bin them.

-if you shop online using an unsecure PC.

-your bank/credit institution security is compromised (happened a few years ago to several banks)

Also if you received mail that was opened then you need to take the issue up with your post office/delivery driver. They should have addressed that before they sent it from their branch.

Sorry this didn't help.

I already had my credit card changed and if you read the whole story I said I had the fun time of changing my credit card accounts over to my new one.  Also yes the bank statements had your credit card number on it, the last 4 digits.  If your bank doesn't do that then you need to get a new one.  I also complained to the post office.  I am not an idiot.  I have been at this for over a month and talked to everyone I could.  The last party I have been trying to talk to about this is Microsoft and they refuse to give me an answer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there oatacus - first of all, you can rest assured that I read the entire post. :) I can certainly understand the frustration about having your CC number sent through the mail. I would be pretty frustrated too. While I can't provide you an "answer" regarding your specific case per se, I can personally pass your feedback along to our customer services management team, and ask them to please make sure in the cases of needing to send out any hard copies of sensitive information that this information is correctly redacted. We apologize for the inconvenience that this has cost you, and we thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Portia.  The people I've talked to say they will pass on the message but I never hear back after asking to.   Its just a clear lack of effort because it was attempted to be blacked out with what looks to be a ball point pen and it was done very poorly.  I've just talked to my bank again about this and they suggested filing a police report, and I would rather not do that.  I want to deal with this, if possible, just with Microsoft.  I've been loyal to Microsoft for years and figure I can give them that much.  I just want some answers, I don't think that is too much to ask.

Sorry this didn't help.