Security update preventing me from logging on to xbox live. Error code 80048821

Security update preventing me from logging on to xbox live. Says my password is wrong, but it is not. 

Tried changing password on xboxlive.com.

Tried deleting account and recovering.

I have no problem logging into xbox live from my laptop. 

I have no problem re-downloading my account onto my xbox (which oddly enough requires my email and password)

The problem occurs when this window comes up:

"We need the email address and password for your Microsoft account so we can check and update the security of your Xbox profile."

I so enter my email and password and then this comes up:

"Sorry that's either the wrong password, or the email you entered doesn't have an Xbox Live membership. Please try again, or go to Xbox.com/forgot if you need help. Code: 80048821"

Why is this happening?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Because the information you are providing does not match what you provided originally when the account was created. You need to update the proofs.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Proofs are up to date. I added my phone number. Still doesn't work. Prior to this happening I hadn't changed my password and I haven't used a different email since I got xbl so I don't see how that could be the problem

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hahaha I'm at my wits end, microsoft's account update must be broken! I spent ages resetting passwords and stuff and I got sick of it and recovered the account... It downloaded with the email and the new password perfectly, I SAVED the new password and when the security update came up it told me I had the wrong information even though I just recovered it with the SAME information. Now I can't sign into Xbox live :) my gt is EddyRy13 btw.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eddy

Just been reading around the net specifically on Microsoft Answers too. Quite a few similar issues.  The error code itself seems to relate back to an issue with Windows Messenger and Age Of Empires Online.  With what I can gather I think it may be an issue with Microsoft recently swapping from messenger to skype.  

Bear with me lol (as I hear u scream 'but whats that to do with my xbox'). Well... The console has a setting that can automatically sign in your profile.  It also has an option to Auto sign in to Messenger....But messenger no longer exists.  My theory is if you navigate  to your sign in settings and turn auto sign in 'OFF' for messenger...delete your profile...then clear your cache...and only then reboot your console and download your profile afresh.  I think the loss of messenger has thrown the logins out if sync somehow. Usually MS error codes mirror through their devices and various softwares  so am pretty confident this may work.You could also try full format of storage device...but make sure u back uo what u can to a freshley formatted USB drive.  I'll follow this thread if you need to holler back

Good Luck

Enni ZQ

Xbox Community Ambassador

Sorry this didn't help.

And just another thought...Even if you dont use Skype...it may be worth you logging into their site and hooking up your Xbox Account email.  Theres options on the Skype homepage for Messenger users to upgrade.  It should then hoepfully recognise all your proofs too!! Last option is to change the email address that your xbox account is registered to. This will ensure you can keep your GT and records in Xbox Servers.  

Enni ZQ

Sorry this didn't help.