Security Proof's, I refuse to be forced

After having my Xbox Live account since the old days of Gears of War and being an avid online gamer until this day, I refuse to be forced to provide personal contact information in order to 'continue' having access to my Xbox Live account, in my years of owning this account I have only ever needed to provide my E-mail address, my Card details (at choice of my own) and have never had an issue regarding my accounts security, unfortunately due to my Xbox Live account being linked to my Visa card with payments for membership it appears I will be forced to provide further personal information in order to cancel these payments as they will not allow me to do so without 'proof'. they can attempt to justify this 'necessity' anyway they like in order to convince themselves its necessary, but I will no longer be a part of this community under an arbitrary idealism

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="PRIME606"]After having my Xbox Live account since the old days of Gears of War...[/quote]Enough said, lovingly n00b...

On a more serious note- you know it's just a phone number? What's the big deal?

I am getting annoyed with it too, when I provide more contact details and then go to live.com/p I still get prompts asking me to do it all again a week or so later.

It is just terrible. Microsoft wanting to make sure only you can access your account. Those swine.

Providing this information is to keep your account secure and safe, nothing more. If your account was compromised you would be calling for more security. Xbox didn't put this system in place as another thing to annoy users. They have a good reason for it. Need I remind you of the great PSN hack that left thousands of people's personal information open to hackers?

Xbox Ambassador | Xbox Forum Moderator | Xbox MVP

Or the FIFA fiasco.

It will only take a few minutes and is for the safety of your account as we don't want you in here tomorrow claiming you were hacked.

-

Don't say we didn't try to warn you : )

[quote user="Kedareturns"]

Or the FIFA fiasco.

[/quote]There was no "FIFA fiasco". It was a handful, yes literally a handful that were affected when it comes to the volumes on XBL who were not affected at all. It was User Error and nothing more.

I would say that hardly qualifies as a "fiasco".

I dont mind adding my phone number but it annoys me when it keeps asking for it after I have entered it and the code it sends you.

Hey, the people that want to dump the blame completely on the users insist it was poor passwords, weak this and weak that, everything that more proofs would help prevent.  And "fiasco" can apply perfectly well to a handful.  So, yes, the FIFA fiasco.

Your whining OP