Secure HDCP Link Not Found/Native Resolution Blurry

The most recent system update has caused my Xbox 360 S to no longer read DVDs and the resolution is all out of whack. Every time I try to watch a DVD a message pops up telling me Secure HDCP link not found. It does it with all movies and switching HDMI cables didn't work. Also since the new update the display settings have changed and my original highest resolution of 1360x768 (my HDTV's native resolution) is all blurry and soft.

I've messed with my HDTV settings, tried different HDMI cables, and even tried another HDTV yet the problem remains. This is the first time I've had either of these issues and they all started as soon as the system update finished.

What's going on here?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

As it seems you've tried most of the other steps found here: support.xbox.com/.../image-on-your-tv-is-unclear please attempt to reset the video settings upon booting. Instructions can be found at that link but are also pasted below:

Reset the console display settings

If the display problem is still not resolved, reset the display settings of your console. Here's how:

Remove any discs from the disc tray.

Turn off the console.

Turn on the console.

Note If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, turn on the console by using the Guide button on the controller. Make sure that you use the player 1 controller when you do this. The player 1 controller will have the upper-left light illuminated.

As the console starts, on the controller, press and hold Y while pulling the right trigger. The display settings are reset to the default settings, and then the console automatically restarts.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

It's weird that your settings changed after an update, but there's a few things you might be able to try if you haven't already.  First off is to make sure your setting on the Xbox are still the same, like is it still at 720p/1080p    or has it changed to 480p somehow, yet still displaying at 1360x768 (which would cause the blurryness, even though that mode should be prevented at 480p).

I did a little search on the net and came up with this link

support.microsoft.com/.../955912

It explains for xbox why that specific error can occur and somethings to take note of an try to attempt a fix for it.  You already tried the HDMI cables so that's ones out.  They suggest making sure your TV supports HDCP which if it worked before it should. The other would be anything you use in between the tv and Xbox  like a PVR/tuner  etc. something that runs in sync with the TV....

You could also try everyone favorite answer "clearing the cache" as well as deleting the optional media update from you consoles HDD, and then re-download the update. The DVD may not require that update but some other program will and could just be not working properly.

Let us know if that works. Or any other things you may have tried.   (If all else fails, going back to component or AV cables should fix the issue)

Sorry this didn't help.

None of these suggestions fixed anything. For some reason my HDTV's native resolution has changed or been altered since the update but the main problem is the fact that I can no longer watch any DVDs... Secure HDCP link could not be found every time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Still unable to watch DVDs and the resolution is still messed up. I hooked up my laptop via HDMI and the picture was crisp and clear at the same resolution. It's only the Xbox 360 that looks soft and undefined. My Xbox 360 S has been an essential part of my home entertainment system as it's both my gaming console, DVD player, etc. so this is really unacceptable.

Sorry this didn't help.