Screen stretched but no options to change screen format

Hello all,

I recently purchased an HDMI to DVI cable in order to play in HD on my computer monitor. The only problem is, when I change it to 720p the screen stretches. I went to the settings and noticed that my screen format is in widescreen, but it will not let me change it to normal. I was wondering if there was any way I could force the screen formatting option to light up and allow me to change it. I don't know if this is because I am using an HDMI cable or what, but I was using VGA and everything was perfectly and it let me change the format. Now the format options are greyed out.

So far I have tried resetting the xbox to display discovery, and then off of display discovery and still no options for screen format.

I also went and got a newer high quality HDMI cable, and it will allow me to go up to 1080p, but my monitor does not support that resolution and the screen formatting settings are still greyed out.

Is this something that can be changed or do I have to buy a new monitor in order to play HDMI?...

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 381 Applies to:

It won't change screen format because 720p is a widescreen resolution. HDMI only allows certain resolutions to be played. You will either have to use VGA or get a new monitor.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.