Scrambled data! - Trouble with my external PNY USB

I formatted the 16 GB flash drive using my XBox 360. I transferred all my games, data, etc. to the flash drive. I moved it from the front USB port to the back so no one bumped into it by mistake. Upon my next start all profile data was gone, all game data, etc. The USB was plugged in properly. I moved it from the back to the front and same issue. It was not recognized by the XBox anymore. All my data was lost. I put the USB into my PC and it was full of all kinds of data but it was all scrambled- folder names were symbols and dates were all wrong and files were unrecognizeable file types. Can anyone help me??

Ed in NC.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

Sounds like the flash drive isn't a compatible one. You can check www.xbox.com/.../storage.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I just found this post because I am having the same issue.  I have used a PNY in the past with no problems, so I am currently testing a few "variables"  to see if I can figure out why this happened to me with a new PNY drive.  Here are the possibilities:

1.  I am trying to save larger items, such as GTA add-ons that are 1.5GB

2.  Those add-ons cost microsoft points (however I did have a paid for arcade game on the old one that worked)

3.  Microsoft wants you to buy their expensive official brand, so they changed something (however, still no problems with the old one)

4.  PNY changed something with their flash drives.  (unlikely, since I had the same problem with a new HP one)

5.  Microsoft wants me to through my system across the room so I break it and have to buy a new one, since I lost all my game saves anyway trying to make room.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same drive (I'm guessing you got it form BB's sale), and it continuously gets corrupted.  I've tried formatting via Win7 box, xbox, etc. and it will work for awhile, then gets corrupted.  I'm guessing it is a no go for the xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

I got that Hp one on sale which I took back since I figured it was just cheap, but then I had the same thing happen with a PNY one.  But I bought the PNY because I have had one of those for about a year with no problems whatsoever.  The main difference this time is I tried to save the larger (more expensive) files on it.  The old one just had demos and hockey setups.

Sorry this didn't help.