RRoD -- Is it just a fact of life?

I bought my console sometime in 2009 I think (though for some reason it says my console warranty expired in 2009 which doesn't make sense to me) and two days ago it kept freezing up during Oblivion. I cleared the cache and it worked fine for the rest of the night. Come morning, my boyfriend was playing Oblivion again and as soon as I sat down to watch him it froze. We cleared the cache again and it worked for about 5 minutes or so and crashed again. After that, I deleted Oblivion saved data just to make sure, and sure enough, a few minutes after starting up a Netflix show, it froze. I shut down the system and restarted it again when it froze again (had done so about 4 or 5 times at that point) and finally gave me the RRoD. I tried restarting the system but I still got the RROD. I turned the system off, disconnected the HDD and turned it back on. This time it booted up fine, so I turned it off and reattached the HDD. I turned it back on, it seemed okay, I started Netflix and it froze. At that point it started freezing more and more, and decided I'd attempt to recover my account data from the HDD by plugging in a USB but in the middle of browsing the storage devices (also, this whole time it had a RRoD) it crashed. It finally refused to boot at all and just flashed the RRoD. I checked the error code and it's 0110, which would usually be caused by a cold solder joint under one of the RAM chips, mostly its the top ones, sometimes it can also be one of the solder balls under the GPU that lead to the RAM or a broken trace that connects the GPU and the RAM, which really worries me. Even though the warranty is supposedly expired (again, why did it expire after a year since it was extended for 3 for this very reason) I would rather have a licensed repair person do it. Now, if overheating caused this, how could I prevent this?

I was careful enough to keep the system in an open space, did my best to clean out the vents without actually opening the case (which makes it 100% impossible to clean clogged up vents), and rarely even use it except for Netflix a few times a week. My boyfriend started playing Oblivion again just 2 days ago since buying it. I'm afraid that I'll end up going through this again with the repaired unit after the extra warranty expires and I really can't keep paying 99 dollars to get it fixed.

Also, how can I find out why my warranty expired after only a year? Do I have to call customer support? This is pretty disappointing since I've always been a fan of the Xbox 360 and never thought I'd end up dealing with the fabled RRoD myself. Also, I'm worried that I'm wasting money on my Live yearly subscription while I put enough money aside to pay for the repairs (which may take a while and Microsoft will only send me 1 month free) -- right now the Xbox can't be one of my top priorities.

So, I'm guessing, even though the RRoD was caused by a manufacturing defect, there is no way for me to have the fee waived. I am pretty sure I already know the answer, but one can still hope!

Thank you for your help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 23 Applies to:

The standard warranty on a 360 was for 1 year.
That said the RROD on the original consoles was covered by an extended 3 year warranty (not on the slims), so if you bought the console in 2009 it would be covered by the RROD warranty up until sometime next year. (If you are 100% you have the dates right).

I would suggest you phone customer support for your region at the earliest opportunity.
You can get their number by clicking on the 'support link' at the top of the page.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'd call up support first just to double check the warranty has expired.

EDIT: And Grey puts it far more eloquently than my slow typing hands can.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, thanks. I talked to a chat representative and they confirmed that it expired earlier this year. I guess I was off by a few months. Oh well.

I guess I'll just deal with it.

Thanks again for your prompt replies!

Sorry this didn't help.

A chat representative?, do you mean the Ambassador chat function on the forums?.

They do not have access to your warranty status and should not be pretending they do. Seriously you need to phone support.

@Vern :P cheers bud. ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm, the 'speak with a live representative' on the xboxlive support webpage. If they aren't supposed to know then It is scary that they do because when I checked online my regular warranty expired in may of 2009 and he was able to give me the exact date but 2 years later in regards to the RRoD. Now I'm freaked out ;).

Either way, even if I have to pay for it, there really is no other option for me, but at this point I'll leave it up to my boyfriend if he wants to call...

Well, thanks again for the prompt response. I just hope I don't have weird spy chat bots after me now.

Since I'm new to this forum, I'm not sure when I should be saying 'yes' to 'did this answer your question' -- well, I know, I just don't know if I should be saying yes to more than one answer :). Also, since I'm not logged onto my gold account I can't reply to your PMs. I guess I should have thought about that before posting with our secondary account hah!

Sorry this didn't help.

Went looking for this chat thing and found there's two chat options that correspond to what you describe. Live chat is for chatting with support staff while ask ambassadors is for asking other XBL users. Kind of like phone a friend without Chris Tarrent staring at you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, live support. I don't even know what an ambassador is. I'm guessing like an Everquest guide? :P

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah sorry I thought you had been given bad info about your warranty so wanted to be 100% it was correct for you.
Cool beans :).

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup, it's all good. I wasn't aware of the other ambassador thingy so I guess I was a tad confusing. Thanks again for your help!

Mmm. Beans.

Sorry this didn't help.