Roxio Game Capture

No, I'm not going to be L33t OpTicK quickscoper. I'm not getting into it because I want "youtube fame" either. I'm actually getting it because I figure it will breath some new life into my gaming hobby. So now that I have that aside, I can ask you this question: would you recommend this product? It offers moderate quality for a good price of $70 with free shipping.

-

I would spend money on one of those HD capture cards, but I really don't know if I will like it just yet. With a price like this, I can turn around and sell the product too a buddy if I dislike the experience and not loose too much.

-

If you guys can suggest something else that is on par with less cost, go on ahead too.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Personally I would save for an HD PVR. I looked online for a bit and it seems that it only outputs @ 480p/30fps. If you're playing a game that runs at 60 fps it's going to look terrible when you play it back.

How much do you think I can get for one barely used? The upfront money isn't an issue, I just don't want to get stuck with a $180 device if I don't like commentating as much as I thought I would.

Well for used it depends on how much people want for it. Your best bets if you wanted to get a used one would be Ebay or Craigslist but I wouldn't expect to find one for under $100.

-

Personally I don't regret getting my HD PVR at all. I don't commentate or anything but if I want to upload something I can do it and not have it look terrible. I also use it to record stuff on TV seeing as I don't have a DVR. The only bad thing about the PVR though is if you wanted to try something like streaming (IE: Twitch.TV or something) it's a pain to get it working but I don't really bother with that seeing as I don't have a fast enough upload speed :/.

I use a Hauppauge HD PVR. The quality is awesome. It's not cheap, but it's worth it. I've never heard of a Roxio, but I looked it up and it looked pretty decent. I think it's cheap enough that you should get it until you've decided if you like recording games or not.

Here's something I filmed with the Hauppauge HD PVR...

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XawMz8FyOo&feature=plcp&context=C4ec94d1VDvjVQa1PpcFOxDSNrgPRsfS52E-OzO1x9ouvAInbVUhM=]

I bought a Roxio game cap a few weeks back as i wanted to start recording some games, nothing professional just something to do in spare time, and in all honesty i'm not happy with the quality i just don't think it's good enough and now i wish i just waited a bit longer and got the hauppauge instead, which i am saving up for now.

The gameplay recorded aint too bad itself but its things like writing on screen you can't read it because its all blury, and when you've got the roxio plugged in it actually makes the picture quality on your tv not as good, i plugged my xbox in with the component cable on its on and it looked fine just pretty much as it looks on HDMI but then when i connect it up with the roxio you can tell straight away the picture don't look as good and you have to play in 1080i because 720p looks even worse.

My honest advise would be just spend the extra money and get the hauppauge, yes its pretty much double the price but when it comes to actually recording footage and uploading it to youtube you just don't want to upload crap quality videos. I thought it would be fine and i wouldnt really mind but soon as i uploaded a few videos i thought i just have to get a HD cap card.

Alright, it seems that the general consensus is to just get the HD.

-

Maybe I should start commentating myself to see if I like it :/

Go with the HD-PVR. I bought a Dazzle, which is about on par with the Roxio, and the Dazzle's quality is okay, but it's starting to become more trouble than it's worth. The Dazzle comes with cheap software, requires extra cables, and you HAVE to have a good editing program (like Sony Vegas Pro) or else the quality is pretty bad...

The Roxio seems like it might be a better choice than the Dazzle, but I'd forget them both and just get the HD-PVR.

Also, as a fellow YouTuber with similar ideas in mind, I hope you understand that recording gameplay and doing commentaries requires a lot of patience and time on your part. Recording is fairly quick and painless, but editing and rendering can take hours upon hours depending on your computers performance. At times you may feel like it's too much work with very little payout, but it does become really addicting and fun when you start getting subscribers. Good luck!

get the hauppauge from best buy. i use it and it works great.

Video Sample:

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zwHH7DSTpc&list=UUec1Ee5bzxZjD5V87gNFu5Q&index=1&feature=plcp]

What editing programs do you recommend? I don't have to strong of a computer, it's just a fairly standard laptop.

i have the hauppauge software that comes with it, but the video edited above was just done with pinicle studio HD. Nothing to fancy.