Router won't automatically assign IP address to sign into Xbox Live

Until a couple of days ago, I could sign in fine to Xbox Live, and now it just won't connect, keeps getting the same 'IP address error' messages. It connects straight from the router to my Xbox using an ethernet cable, but not between my laptop and Xbox using the same ethernet cable as I have done in the past. I've reset the router, tried static IP addresses (which still don't work, as I don't really understand them all too well). DHCP is on, MAC filtering is off, UPnP is enabled and NAT is open. When I go into configure network on my Xbox, it is set as automatic, the IP address setting and the Subnet Mask setting both have addresses, but the gateway does not (Which I understand is your routers IP address? Which I also entered but still does not work), the DNS settings are also automatic, but both primary and secondary DNS settings are 0.0.0.0.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 219 Applies to:

Hey there CaoticBucket. Sorry to hear about all the issues. I want to double check something with you. You can connect your Xbox to your router and get no problems, however when you hook your Xbox to your laptop you get no connection?

- Are you using ICS (internet connection sharing) or connection bridging?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds about right,  by any chance did u take the ethernet from the xbox and put it into the laptop when both was on ? as this would cause problems with a conflict of i.ps

everything should be automatic, and 0.0.0.0 as this would change when your xbox makes contact with your router.

i would try factory reset the router, and you can reset the xbox's connection too by going configure network and restore

also, restart your laptop, to reset the i.p it will receive from your router, so it would have the same as the xbox's

you can also flush the dns on laptop renew the i.p

click start > run comman type "ipconfig/flushdns" & "ipconfig/renew" without  Quatations "   "

hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) or bridging really does only work about half the time, and it's not suggested to use as a long term set up. It can burn out your network card in your laptop if you use it for too long. If you try resetting it and it's not working, it's likely not going to work anymore. If you can connect up to your router just fine, I suggest keeping it like that as it's the best set up for the Xbox itself. The reason why none of the settings are working on the router while connected through the computer is that the Xbox is trying to see the computer as the router, not the actual router. However, if you are connecting up to the router now and you're getting an IP Address Error, I simply suggest restoring factory defaults under the Additional tab in Configure Network, a 5 minute power cycle of your Xbox and your router, and then try connecting up again. That should resolve the IP Address Error while connecting to the router.

Sorry this didn't help.

CaoticBucket, Hakko Tenshi is correct. If you are connecting to your internet connection via ISC, then that is absolutely a short-term solution. The best bet, in the long run, is to get a dedicated thernet cord that will run from your router to your Xbox. That way you wont have to worry about wireless interference, computer issues, or distance problems.

Sorry this didn't help.