Router Upgrade to Improve Connection

I have an older Dlink G router that I have hardwired to my 360.  My internet connection is 9mbps down and 1mbps up.  If I get a better router, or switch to a higher bandwidth connection will make xbox live work better? 

The reason I ask is because I was talking to some guys (who spend waaay too much time playing call of duty: black ops) some general questions about the game and they were saying that connection has a lot to do with performance in multiplayer (all other factors being equal obviously ie. skill level)  So what I'm wondering is where I can improve. 

If I get the greatest router ever but have an poor internet connection the router won't be doing me much good and vice versa.  but If i buy the most expensive router I can and the highest amount of bandwidth I can I don't see how that will help either because even if a better connection will help you in-game, it can only be up to a certain point right? 

Basically what I'm trying to do is see if i can upgrade my setup to improve performance but not go into overkill.  This might sound confusing but let me know if i can clear anything up.

Router Specs:

Dlink DI524 802.11g/2.4GH

54Mbps Data transfer

LAN : 4 x Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45,

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

The best thing you can do,i think anyway,is call your ISP provider and upgrade to the faster internet speed.I have Verizon DSL and i pay for the best speed they have,and it helped a lot better for playing COD MP games.But i do have days were i only get 2-3 green bars while playing BO.But from what i understand,its the Hosts speed you need to realy worry about.Also you can goto Cnet.com and look at router reviews and how to get the most out of your Router for better speeds while playing BO or other Xbox live MP games.Very good info on there.Good luck to you.....Hope this helped out some.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just another little thing to consider... sometimes your modem can actually make a difference as well.  I had a problem several years ago with getting dropped from a LOT of matches in HALO 3.  My router at the time was old so I bought a NetGear gaming router which was the one of the best routers in existance at the time.  When that didn't work, I plugged my 360 into my modem directly and I still had the problem. I was with Comcast at the time and finally tried swapping out my Motorola surfboard cable modem for a Scientific Atlanta cable modem and the problem went away.  Although it is definitely a greater likelyhood that your issue is not your modem (and I have friend's who have the Motorola surboard and use it with no issues) the modem is just another thing to keep in mind in case nothing else works for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

9mb down and 1 up is plenty , a faster internet speed doesnt give you any advantage at all (ie a 20mb line wouldnt make gaming any better than it is now)

your real issue is ping (the time it takes for a packet of information to leave your xbox reach the target host then return to your xbox , measured in milliseconds. As the xbox uses matchmaking it usually chooses the best player to host the game in the lobby (that will be indeed the person with bthe fastest connection , that person will have an advantage , as they are hosting they will have a slight speed advantage over everyone else ie they will see you a few milleseconds before you see them and that is sometimes all it takes to get the kill) but that is only because they are hosting the game not because their connection is faster , ping has nothing to do with connection speed (unless your on dialup ;0) )

so in short no , increased bandwidth wont improve your connection in

game , improving your ping will , however if your connection is already good there is little you can do apart from get matched to players that are close by , matching with players in europe or america for example will give you a poor ping purely because of the distance and number of "hops" from you to the host.

ever run around a corner and the bullets are still hitting you? thats because they hit you before you ran around the corner but as it takes a longer time for the info to get to your xbox you get "lag". Packet loss can also cause this but thats a whole differant problem

so to check your ping is acceptable goto "pingtest.net" post the results here if your unsure , because some isp's do route your info through alot of servers sometimes (for no apparent reason)

Sorry this didn't help.

So a ping test at speedtest.net gives me around 26ms.  That's with a server in the same city.  

Ping test.net gave me a ping of between 79 and 86 jitter between 9 and 20.  That's a server about 400 miles away.

It keeps saying that it's unable to determine packet loss though.

How can I improve my ping?

Also thanks to Archst3er I've been trying to get an answer for a while and you've helped a lot!

Sorry this didn't help.

Your ping is fine. Even 400 miles away you're getting a good connection. Ping itself is going to be a limitation of how you're routed by your ISP so no it can't really be improved.

I'd assume with your connection and being hardwired on the console that any lag or issues you see are from either drops in your ISP connection to you temporarily or the player you're connected to not having as good of a connection as you.

Sorry this didn't help.