Ripped out of a Gamertag?

Ok, for starters I have called Xbox support twice. Had three different supervisors look and still they didn't know what to do. I was advised to come here so i'm hoping I can get an answer.

Today, I was planning on changing my gamertag, I found one I liked "Free Lemonade" it says it was free and everything. So i get to the final screen where it says

"Your old Gamertag: lnfectz"

"You new Gamertag: Free Lemonade"

I click confirm, I am then hit with a error code with a bunch of random numbers but I keep trying because it says to try again later, after numerous failed attempts I then call XBL. I tell the rep what is going on, she tells me to recover my gamertag, she says that this helps alot of problems people have. So I do this. After recovering my GT she tells me to go try again. When I put in my new gamertag "Free Lemonade" it says it is already taken. BUT when I go to add the gamertag as a friend it says "This gamertag is not in use" So I tell her this. She gets all of her supervisor to look, they know nothing about what to do. So they merely tell me "Ehh, think of some other gamertag....." So my question is, do any of you know what might have happened? Or how I could get that gamertag back? I REALLY want that one and, I was SOO close :/

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Neither gamertag shows as existing to me. It's worth noting though that Zune shares the 'gamertag' system, so just because it isn't showing as in use on the 360, does not mean it isn't being used somewhere.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It is in use if you spell it without the space. That could cause an issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

The full error message and code could be important. Would you mind posting that here for us? As already stated, GTs are used across many services and may not initially appear when you search for them. Also, spaces are not considered when checking the availability of a GT. For instance, "Free Lemonade" is the same as "FreeLemonade". Essentially, if it says it's not available, it's not available. Sorry for the confusion and hassle.

Sorry this didn't help.