Returning gamer having trouble

Hello support!

Several (~4?) years ago I had an xbox live account.  I let it go inactive because I wasn't using it enough to warrant a membership fee.  Recently my admittedly very old original 360 red ringed and I figured it was time to buy a new one.  I put the old HD on a newer model I bought and was able to sign into my profile just fine without an internet connection.  Eventually, i decided to check out the xbox live marketplace so I plugged in the interweb, did a couple updates to the xbox software and when all that was finished, tried to sign on to my original profile.  Lo and behold, I was unable to do so!  The message it told me was that I needed to sign into a windows live id to sign onto this console.  Originally, I thought "no problem! I'll just use my email I use for everything!" but it didn't work and said it was incorrect.  I thought perhaps I used my "real", "professional" email address so I tried that as well, to no avail.  After some thought, I was wondering if I even made a windows live id when I first got onto xbox live?  I don't know, to be honest.  That was a long time ago.  I'm able to sign into my profile just fine without an internet connection, and was told to check the account settings to see what my WLID account was, but when I go to the account settings they are greyed out and I cannot select them.  I can make new WLID's and gamertags just fine (obviously, or else I wouldn't be posting) but I would really like to access my original profile as I don't want to lose any of my saved games.  Little help? 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Call support. If you can verify that you are the owner of the account they should be able to give you the email.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If its been a long time since you've been online, the information they use to verify will probably be out of date. Might want to scrounge up old info if you can't remember it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Univalvebarley!

For this issue, you are going to have to remember some of the information attached to that account, such as: Windows LIVE ID, Security Question, Alternate emails/phone numbers, or credit card information used on the account. If you can recall any of that information, then please contact Xbox Support, and inform them of the situation.

Best of luck!

Sorry this didn't help.