Retention of voice death-threat message

Unfortunately my son has received a death threat via XBOX Live. Having contact local Police, they have advised retention of the message to assist them in their follow-up. My question is whether I can do this in any way legally that will overcome the Xbox Live retention policy.

Can anybody help here?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 27 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

By "retention policy" do you mean that the message will delete itself after 30 days and you'd like to keep it somehow longer if necessary?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand that death threats can be scary and frightening, especially to your son. Props to you that you called the police, I am sure they will catch him, but if you file a complaint on the user, if you haven't already, the Moderation team can find more information faster and suspend him as hell, helping the Police.

Sorry this didn't help.

Skan, that's because it's something to worry about, and you must have really made those people mad then. Take them seriously.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Knowitall: yes, 30 day retention policy. The Xbox Live Support team suggested people here might have a clue and the Police have requested I make all efforts to retain.

@Original Colton: thanks for your understanding. I'm working with Community Safety Officers at trying to resolve this but don't want to tip off the user just yet.

@SkanenakS: I'm gonna assume you've just misjudged the situation and spoken without thinking first. Suggest you start from the point of view that there is a difference between ROTM flaming and the situation here, that has obviously attracted the Police's attention. If you can help, please do so, if not, well let's not waste time, OK?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually it is up to the police to gather evidence to take action against the offender. What they would have to do is contact MS themselves and possibly provide a warrant for the information. MS works with law enforcement so there should be no issue with your local PD getting that message. Otherwise what you could also do is simply record the message from your end with either a video recorder or a voice recorder.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't want to start pointing fingers, but if your son is receiving death threats through Xbox Live then you should observe him playing and how he talks to other individuals, maybe even take away rated mature games. I myself have heard numerous homophobic, sexist, and racist comments used by children who picked it up from some less than reputable individuals that take video games to seriously. You mentioned that you went to the police and since it was only verbal it will only go as far as a terroristic threat (if that) since it was over video games, if he snitched on a drug dealer or something the police would probably take it more seriously. The penalties for such a crime would honestly only make matters worse if the suspect is found guilty since they are minimal, but that requires that you can prove it was that person that made the threat and not someone else on his account such as a friend or family. If it is that bad take away his headset and turn on muting to avoid verbal confrontations or take away his xbox until the matter is completely resolved. You are the adult and parent in this situation.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ToniestFlunky5: You opinion on a situation you know nothing about was not asked for.

If you know any practical way to retain the message, then please share. Otherwise, I respectfully ask that you keep unwanted "parenting" advice to yourself. The matter is in the hands of the Police.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Temhotabot: Er...actually it is the Police asking me if there's a way I can retain a message without their having to issue a warrant. This is standard procedure and having worked with State and Federal investigators on a number of cases, I can assure you that not everything has to be done through the ISP. I just don't want to void my warranty if not necessary.  :)

I guess what I'm asking is if there is anyway other than your suggestion to retain the message (e.g., any utility that will download the voice message onto a local hard-disk or other machine). If not, then I think I'm done on this board.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mods - please close this thread, as I am not getting an answer here, thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

It sounds like Tem gave you a pretty decent answer there. Have the police you are working with contact MS directly and they will be able to help them more than anyone here on the forums will.

Sorry this didn't help.