Reserved Gamertag Expiration?

I've been wanting a certain gamertag for a long time now, but when I try to change my current gamertag to it, it says that the gamertag is reserved. I've looked at their profile and it says that they're offline and have never even played a single game. Will there ever be a point in time where that gamertag is available, or will this person, who just made an account and never used it, keep that gamertag forever?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

Infinite,

Gamertags are not solely used for Xbox accounts. They are also used for Zune and Games with Windows accounts. The odds are this person has an account with one of the other two programs and does not play Xbox. Since gamertags are an on-demand service, there is no definitive timeframe for when they are purged and freed up for other users. All you can do is keep checking the availability of the gamertag or slightly modify, Hope this clarifies the situation.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This is dumb. Nobody has a Zune. Make an expiration date for tags that aren't logged in anymore

Sorry this didn't help.

This thread is over 2 years old & been answered.

If you have an issue you'd like help with please start your own thread.

If you have an idea or suggestion then you would need to post it on the feedback site here https://xbox.uservoice.com/

Sorry this didn't help.