Replacing Xbox 360 Hard Drive with larger one...Way to Transfer Files?

I have had my 360 since day 1, it has an 8 gig hard drive.  Hasn't been an issue until I started downloading games and maps for halo 4, now I want the extra space.

My friend just bought an Elite so he gave me his larger hard drive.

I know how to physically replace the drive, but what about all the maps and game saves and everything? How do I get those from the old drive to the new one?  I really don't want to have to download everything again, nor do i want to lose game save data, nor do i want to swap drives all the time.

Anyone know what to do?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 24 Applies to:

Hi there,

Seeing as you have such a small hard drive, I would suggest using a USB flash drive to transfer all your data. Other options include using a transfer cable, but this is only worth the money if you have a hundreds of gigabytes of data to transfer. Basically, USB is cheaper and easier.

1. Plug in your USB

2. Go to system settings and select memory

3. Select your HDD with the files you want on it and press Y, to open the transfer content option

4. Select your destination device (the USB) and choose all the files you wish to transfer

5. Finally, once the transfer has completed take out your old HDD, insert the new one, repeat the process you just used on the old HDD to transfer the content and voila!

NOTE. If the USB is not big enough, then either reduce the number of files, or do the transfer in chunks. To reduce the amount of content that is slated to be transferred, highlight a content type, press X to clear all items from the highlighted content type, or press A to view the individual items for the content type.

Highlight the item you would like to deselect and press A. When you have reduced the amount of content to fit onto the destination device, the Space Available bar will change from red to green.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You could also upload your save games to the cloud storage so that would only leave any DLC and games you have bought.

Just go to Settings>Storage>Hard Drive and select each game then select COPY (you could use MOVE but COPY is safer in case anything goes wrong during transfer) and select the Cloud

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.