Replacing my old xbox

I have several issues with my old xbox who is around five years old. I have to buy a new one soon and wonder if there is a guideline on how to transfer content form the old harddrive to a new xbox and if there is any other issues I need to handle? Like license transfer for DLC or other stuff? I have about 60GB with data.

Can I have my profile on two xbox consoles at the same time? Do I need to store the profile in the cloud storage then?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The old HDD will be fine.

What the guides do not tell you is that you do not need to Transfer content from one HDD to another.

When you plug the transfer cable in, hit B to go back and cancel the transfer dialogs. Once you've done that, you can go to System, Settings, Storage. From here you can Copy content between the Transfer Cable device and the HDD. This will allow you to make a Copy of your downloaded content instead of Moving the content. Note that Copy does not work for all content (some things can only exist on one storage device at a time).

Under each folder (Games and Apps, Demos, Videos, etc.) there are individual items. In the Games and Apps folder, each of these items is really a folder for the respective game or app title. Hit Y and you'll get the option to Copy the entire game or app folder to another device.

This is a bit of a manual process, but by taking the time to Copy the content instead of just Transfer, you'll end up with two HDDs that hold almost all of the same content. If you elect not to perform a license transfer, the old console will continue to be able to play any DLC that was downloaded to it with any profile (or no profile at all). The new console will require the purchasing gamertag to be logged in for the content to be usable.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Will the old hdd and xbox be useless after transferring content and licenses or can I use it as a spare console for my kids to play some games on?

Sorry this didn't help.

For guidance in transferring content, Eezak is correct. You can use the guides he posted will be most helpful. (Thanks Eezak!)

To answer your question about two profiles:

Yes, you can. They cannot be both online at the same time, but your profile can exist on multiple consoles. Profiles cannot be stored on Cloud Storage. You can, however, download your profile onto any new console you encounter. You will not typically need to redownload it once you've already done so once on that given console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is info on transfering from an old HDD to a new one.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/set-up-transfer-cable

Here is info on License transfer so content can be used when offline

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content

Download,moving,deleting profile

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/profile-move-delete

Sorry this didn't help.