Repeatedly getting the ms-resource tiles

I've done a factory reset 3 times now in the past 30 days because of the ms-resource tiles. All the tile icons go missing and the actual names just say ms-resource on them. I thought it was maybe because of the instant on feature so I turned that off so it had to do a hard shut down and start up each time, but it still happened. I'm now looking at needing to do it a 4th time. It takes literally days to redownload all my games and apps each time and it's becoming extremely frustrating. How do I get this to stop or how do I fix this without needing to wipe my machine each week?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hey there TextuaryMaple7.

I'm afraid for this particular error a Factory Reset is your best option, although this shouldn't be happening so often for you.

It's possible you may be experiencing a network connection issue when downloading games or updates. Can you share your network setup as well as your detailed network statistics on the console?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the exact same issue on my console except it happens every single day.

Steps I have taken recommended by Tech Support Representatives and by Forums

• turning the xbox one console off and back on
    • does not change anything but it's always the first troubleshooting step
  • hard reset the console by holding the power button until shut down then unplugging the console for 30 seconds
    • does not make a difference but like the standard reboot is always a part of my troubleshooting routine
  • Offline System Update by downloading the the Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool to a flash drive and following all of the steps
    • this does not fix anything. yes, it is performed correctly
  • (most obvious) factory restore
    • always seems to fix the situation 100% but only temporarily

For the past two weeks this issue always returns after about 24 to 48 hours. My console is running the most recent OS Version, and the time in which the issue returns seems to coincide with the time/date the console performs an Automatic Update Check.

Below is a detailed breakdown of the before and after.........

Before performing the Factory Restore:

• sometimes when powering on I get the green screen for several minutes before coming to the home screen
  • loading games/apps takes several times longer than usual
  • some (not all) app and game tiles are blank with "ms-resource" titles
  • gamer picture is blank
  • console freezes when starting some apps/games
  • my NAT is strict despite ALWAYS being open before having this issue.
    • this is the most confusing situation of the recurring issue. why is my NAT being effected?

After performing the Factory Restore:

• everything seems to look and operate as intended
  • all games and apps load in a quick manner as usual
  • my NAT is open as it should be
    • the NAT can only be fixed by performing the Factory Restore which should not effect the NAT in the first place

SUPPORT TECHNICIANS PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BECAUSE IN THE PAST I'VE HAD TECHNICIANS GIVE RESPONSES THAT WERE NOT APPLICABLE DESPITE MY PREVIOUSLY STATED FACTS

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Namztloh,

Sorry you're having issues with your console. If you're having the same issue, and you've performed all the factory restores then it's likely your console needs a service. Please go to the link below to request a repair on the Xbox.

https://myservice.xbox.com

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Namztloh,

Have you tried to check your router settings? If you are still experiencing this kind of problem intermittently. I would suggest to try downgrading/lowering the firewall settings of your router.

This issue seems to be caused by some router's security protocol on limiting cache or plugins from xbox live to fully load the tiles.

Sorry this didn't help.

To supplement SingCongButas25, reducing your router'so general firewall protection is a VERY bad idea. Please take the time to adjust the firewall ONLY for your Xbox, and only what is needed. The firewall is there for your protection, and poking a bunch of holes in it will reduce or sometimes eliminate your protection altogether.

I suggest setting a reserved address for your Xbox, so it never changes, and then set your Xbox network to the same address. This way, you can adjust the firewallast settings for your reserved Xbox address only, and keep all other networked devices safe

Sorry this didn't help.