Repeated, random disconnects from Xbox Live on 360s

I've been experiencing random disconnects on my Xbox 360s.  I had experienced them in the past, but very infrequent (once or twice a week, at most).  I've noticed over the past few months they've become more frequent.  We want to use the 360s as our main console now (see the next paragraph), but as we're trying to do that these disconnects are becoming a major barrier to our enjoyment of Live and the services tied to it.

I've only recently started using this 360s more frequently.  Previously it was the office console, used perhaps once or twice a week.  We have a "white" Xbox 360, 20gb model (upgraded to the 120gb drive), that I had been using in the front room for the past month without issue (we've recently moved into a new house).  I can reconnect my "white" Xbox where the 360s is in the front room (where it had been up until a week ago) and have absolutely no issues, consistent connection to Live every time, but when I use the 360s we see random disconnects averaging a few times an hour, sometimes less.

As you will see below I have tried several troubleshooting steps.  I don't know if perhaps there is something different in the way the networking hardware works between the original "white" model and the new 360s, but it seems odd to me that one would work flawlessly and the other have so many issues.

Matt

What Country/State/Province do you live in?  Concord, California, USA

Modem brand & model number: Motorola SB6121 SURFboard

Router brand & model number: Cisco RVS4000

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? N/A

Things you have tried: Reset router multiple times, reset modem multiple times, reset/swapped network switch, restored my Live profile, cleared the Xbox cache, forced re-install of December 2011 dashboard update.

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown Yes

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT? No NAT error.

Any Error Codes you encounter: No errors encountered.

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Comcast/Xfinity

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)

W: 0000 - 000B

X: 0000 - F001

Y: 20A8 - 4840

Z: 0000 - 0000

ID: FFFF - FFFF

L: 8015 - 100C

Q: 8015 - 100C

T: Wired

D: 75.75.75.75/75.75.76.76

S:

C:e

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey there Bull! I understand you are having some connection issues, but with only one console. This is a bit strange. I'm wondering if you were to connect that console back up and run the network test as you did above, what do those results look like? I'm mainly concerned with the letter questions after pressing (Y). Can you post those back here for me and we'll see if there are any differences there that could indicate what the issue is? Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm actually traveling for the next few days, but I'll be sure to test this out when I get home Tuesday and reply to this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here are the details from the network test on the "white" Xbox.  I had my wife hook up this Xbox in the same place as the 360s, and also had her do a factory reset of the network settings to make sure they were configured the same.  After a few hours of using the Xbox she has not had any connection issues on this unit.

ID FFFF - FFFF

L: 0015 - 10F0

Q: 0015 - 10F1

S:

C:e

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for getting back to me Bull! These results don't show any glaring issues here with your S console. I'd like to just run through some basic steps with you. On your S console, try resetting your network settings by following these steps:

1. Turn off the Xbox 360 console.
  2. Turn on the console.
  3. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
  4. Select Network Settings.
  5. Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.
  6. Select Configure Network.
  7. On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults
  8. Turn off your console.
  9. Turn on the console.
  10. Test your Xbox LIVE connection. To do this, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings. Select Network Settings, select Wired Network or your wireless network name (if you are prompted to do so), and then select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

If that doesn't help you out, try a direct wired connection to the modem to see if that helps. This could tell us if there is an issue with router or not.  Let me know what you find out here, thanks! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the late reply.  Been a very busy week, and some unexpected events came up.

I was able to run through some of the tests tonight, I'll paste my notes below.  In summary, after another failed test wired on my internal network, causing the most recent update to fail, I connected the Xbox directly to the cable modem with success.  I'm now connected again to my internal network through the router and have again experienced some random disconnects from Live.  I'm still baffled as to why I only have these issues with my 360s and not my "white" 360.

Connected through internal network

Update failed after three attempts, status code: 397D-397F-A080-0F00-8007-2EE2

Reset network settings

Powered off console

Testing Xbox Live connection first, but told I need to install update.

Updating now.

Update failed again after three attempts, status code: 397D-A080-0F00-8007-2746

Connected directly to Cable Modem

Reset network settings.

Updating now.

Update was downloaded and applied successfully.

Status from Xbox Live test:

Y: 20A8 - 48E0

Q: 0015 - 10F1

A: 

G: 98.297.64.1

Connected again on internal network

Reset network settings, rebooted console.

Tested Xbox Live connection successfully.

Status from Xbox Live test:

W: 000 - 000B

X: 000 - F001

Q: 8007 - 0435

A: 192.168.1.102/255.255.255.0

G: 192.168.1.1

Testing connectivity, watching Netflix.

Disconnected shortly after finishing an episode.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the response! How about this: set it back up to connect through your router, then try setting a static IP address on the console that is higher than the one you showed on the router (for example, 192.168.1.110). This will prevent any conflicts from other devices. Then you will also need to fill in the same IP address in the DNS settings. Both of these are found under the Settings Hub > System > Network > Wired Network > Configure Network.

After you get that set up, you'll want to get into your router's settings and disable UPnP. After that, you will want to enable port forwarding for the static IP address you just set up. Please refer to our guide (support.xbox.com/.../network-ports-used-xbox-live) for specific steps on how to do that.

Once everything is set up, try it again and see if that works. Let me know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having similar issues. My XBOX 360 S console will (occasionally) kickme from Xbox LIVE. Most of the time I need to re-start my console to play again, but not always. It is really annoying.

Had this issue... Ooh, since I bought my first Xbox a few years ago? Im now on Virgin Media 10MBPS, but I have been with Sky and had this issue. In the UK.

Sorry this didn't help.

We are more than happy to assist you James, but to do that we'll need you to create a new thread detailing your issue and any steps you have tried. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I performed the suggested test today, as well as a few others, but without succes.  I'll include another Test Status below.

I first followed the steps to turn off UPnP on the router, set a static IP address above .110, and setup port forwarding for the important ports noted in the support article you linked, but the disconnects continued.  I reset the router and tested again, without success.  I did some research on using Port Range Triggering and tried a configuration using that with the ports suggested on the support article, but again without success.  As a curiosity I tried these same configurations with my white Xbox and did not experience any issues.  

I'm willing to try some more things, but at this point isn't it reasonable to assume that the Xbox is faulty, or perhaps that one of the last updates caused a configuration fault to be introduced to the Xbox that is resulting in these disconnect issues?

X: 0001 - 8005
Y: 20A8 - 4800
ID FFFF - FFFF
Q: 8015 - 100C

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright, thanks for the post. I don't think a console repair or replacement will help anything. It seems that the unique thing here is the combination of that console and router. The other console works fine, and everyone is happy when using the modem. Just to mix things up, can you try a different router, preferably a different brand altogether. Try both consoles on this new router and see what happens. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.