Removing LCDs from the recommendation list

Just when we thought LCDs are gradually improving year on year they have sadly taken a massive dip recently. In the past year, S-PVA's black levels have increased from 0.03 cd/m2 to 0.05cd/m2 on average and the viewing angles have dropped significantly. A-MVA's black level hasn't dropped below 0.05 cd/m2 in the past two years. IPS however is making progress but the black levels are still too high (0.10/0.18cd.m2) which makes IPS unsuitable for dark environments. Uniformity in general has also dropped since the introduction of LED-LCD, so did motion quality (instead of tolerable blur, we now have highly visible after images caused by "out of sync" backlight and LCD).

-

Hopefully next year things may improve on the LCD side, but if you're looking to invest in a display this year, opt for PDP. Even a 1024 x 768 plasma will provide better over all performance compared to 1080p LCD (especially if you're a fan of 60p games such as COD).

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Maybe this has been done intentionally to increase the interest in OLED displays? Farfetched but possible. It could just be that the push to cut down on cost of production each year has reached a critical point. I don't really know enough about the process of CE manufacturing to make anything more than theories, but those are mine.

Could be or it could be due all the drastic cost cutting. But things aren't looking too good on the LCD front ATM. Normally I can recommend a few LCD without even thinking about it but now, I can't even recommend one.

In January I was seeking a new HDTV.  I spent 30 straight days purchasing and trying one tv after another.  Even had an entire thread about the tests.  Tried LCD, PLasmas, and LEDs. After bringing 5 tvs home,  I eventually took my 360 directly to the store and started hooking up to the tvs they had.    The best hdtv out of all of them was the:

Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX720 40" 3D LED-LCD TV 120hz 240 motionflow 3d

If you are looking for a gaming tv, this is the one I would recommend.   I have been using it since the end of January and I love it.  The motion blur was almost non existant, jaggies are very minimal, and stunning colors and blacks. Samsung also mades a very good LED.  I would not recommend plasmas.  I wanted the 32" but they didnt have the 32" with 240hz motionflow.  The 120hz 240 motionflow makes a massive difference over 60hz. HUGE difference.

Camaro:  I have a Sony Bravia set myself.  And while Sony does have some nice electronics going on in their sets, they don't make their own any longer.  They have completely outsourced now. :(  I know a lot of other companies in the industry do, but that was one of the major reasons why Sony's TVs looked good for so long was the processing engine and they put their own components in their TVs and visually it showed.  Similar to what Samsung continues to do to this day.

-

I understand that they did that to save on some $$$ cause they are hurting financially right now, but it still saddened me when I found out.  Still I'm glad you like your set!  :)

I know what you mean. Before this Sony Bravia,  I had a Sony Trinitron Wega CRT HDTV and LOVED that tv.  Stunning quality for being 6 years old.    Long story short I sold it and needed a new tv.  Could not believe how poor most of the new LCD tvs looked compared to the CRT. The LCDs were just jagged and massive motion blur.  I am very anal about that.  So as I said above, this Sony Bravia LED was THE best tv I could find after 30 days of trial and error and just a complete headache. Very stressful way to start the new year.  After trying all the tvs including plasmas,LED, and LCD,  I narrowed it down between Sony and Samsung both LEDs.  But putting both tvs side by side, the Sony won especially in terms of color.  Samsung is very very good though. My 2nd choice for sure.   The one thing I loved about the Sony Bravia is that you can have a PIP along with P&P (Twin Picture or Picture and Picture) for any imput. Which means you can have a 360 and PS3 on the tv at the same time and split the screen any way you want.   Samsung only did PIP.   I personally dont like PIP but I love the P&P.

The conclusion was reached after testing several HDTVs (I work for HDTVtest). We don't obtain samples to carry out subjective tests (tests based on observation). We use professional calibration software and hardware to evaluate the displays (total cost of over $1000 USD). What we have seen is LCD have declined in image quality since last year.

-

The EX720 was manufactured by Foxconn and the video processor was supplied by wither NXP or NEC. I'm not sure of the panel but it seems to be the lower quality MVA from CMI judging from panel characteristics). In addition, 120Hz processing is disabled in-game mode, which means during motion the EX720 can only resolve ~300 lines out of 1080. Current MCFI also cannot process inconsistent motion accurately.

-

CNET rated the 40EX720 "average" and accurately pointed out its flaws: "It reproduces lighter black levels, and its darker areas are tinged blue. The Sony KDL-EX720 cannot customize dejudder processing and has less-even screen uniformity."

-

reviews.cnet.com/.../4505-6482_7-34504784.html

What is your reason for not recommending plasmas? Because manufacturers have addressed all the major issues except slightly high power consumption compared to LED-LCD.

Hey Nielo.  So in an older plasma I noticed after a period of time when I would turn the unit on I would see a ton of green specs filling the screen until the unit warmed up and even then it still appeared to be slightly grainy.  It was one reason why I didn't go back to plasma myself.  I will admit however, that the unit I got was not the best, so I feel that my experience is skewed.  Did some of the earlier versions of plasmas have this issue and been resolved?  This seemed to happen after about 6 months from purchase date.

Also how is image retention and burn in now?  Things of the past?  or?

Never heard of that before. It could have been faulty.

-

On the new Panasonic plasmas, noise is almost gone (you have to be extremely close to the screen to see it ~15cm), on the new Samsung plasmas, noise is completely removed, phosphor lag is gone (so no more green or yellow trialling), banding is reduced, double image due to dual glass is gone, ANSI contrast is now the same/identical to dynamic range thanks to single glass design, on Panasonic plasmas flicker is reduced but on Samsung, flicker is completely removed, mid-range and high-end plasmas now have effective AR coating, low-end plasmas also have decent AR coating, Panasonic plasmas do still have mild IR but it disappears within minutes and certain Samsung plasmas are immune to IR. Screen burn on both Samsung and Panasonic have also been solved (under normal viewing). But if you display a bright image at peak lumin for weeks then it can burn (but so can LCDs) No display is immune to screen burn except public LCD displays. On those over-drive is disabled the screen is refreshed every so often.

As you can see, plasmas have improved tremendously since 2009.  In the space of three years they've achieved all that and much more (e.g. massive reduction in power consumption, stable blacks, thinner profile and so on). So it goes to show PDP continues to be of importance to manufacturers and its not going anywhere. After it is the only tech we ATM that's comparable to OLED.

_

Also with PDP, you don't have to worry about panel or processor lottery. Panasonic, Samsung and LG produce their own screen and do not share among them. Panasonic use their own components and processor while Samsung and LG use 3rd party processor on their low-end models.