Removing Credit Card Information

Before I dive into details I'm sure there are a ton of posts about this elsewhere as I have been reading a lot. However none really just state 100% of everything I'd like to know and I've been "researching" for the past few hours...very early hours I might add because I want to find out what is true and what is not true. Considering it's extremely early I'm pretty agitated at this point not only by my lack of findings but because of how disturbing what I did find out was.

So my sister and I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas and made two new accounts that had the month of free live. After hers ended she never renewed; I renewed mine recently and have had it like so for about a month and a half with no problems. Eventually I asked my sister if she would play Xbox again if I put Live back onto her account. Of course she said she would; so I thought it would be a simple buy her Live and then remove my information so it couldn't be used (not that I don't trust her but it's the principle of the matter).

I managed to buy her 1200 points as well so she could get at least one expansion for Black Ops. However after this was all said and done I went to delete my Credit Card and I found that I couldn't. After researching for a few hours I found that some people said you cannot delete your CC if it is tied to a paid Live account during it's duration of Live. So am I to understand now that my information is sitting there on an account I absolutely do not want it on even after it has already paid for something? In my mind there is no dilemma, I have emails stating confirmation that I have paid for the product(s) I wanted, why does my CC still need to be present? Why is it so hard to just delete my CC off of this account; everything has been paid for? Yes, I'm stating and re-stating what I already said because I'm seriously in bewilderment. 

I'll be honest, at this point I really want to wait another hour and ten minutes and tear some Microsoft CS employee a new one once their phone lines open up. I'm trying to remain civil though due to the extreme ridiculousness this situation seems to me. So can someone, if anyone, please enlighten me on what is true about this matter? Can I call them up and have them delete my  information? Or will this void my sister's subscription and block her? Is there ANY way to get this off the account? 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 24 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

yes, your cc is locked to the account until it goes silver or you cancel it outright. it will not go silver unless you call cs to turn off auto renew. you have to call cs to cancel it outright and remove the cc. the reason your cc is locked to the account is because you have signed up for a subcription service with it. you agreed to allow ms to charge your cc when the subscription automatically renews, therefore, a valid cc has to be on file in order to apply that charge when appropriate.

if you don't want your cc attached to your sister's account then you will need to call cs and ask them to remove your cc. they will have to cancel the subscription first and if you have more than a month remaining on the subscription then they will generate a code that you can redeem to replace the time you have already paid for. it can take 3-10 days for that code to be generated.

read the terms of use. learn to read contracts before you agree to them. you may have been able to avoid all of this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. That's another confusing thing, I see very recent posts talking about calling to turn off Auto-Renew. So does that mean when I went into the account on this site and clicked the "On" where it said auto-renew and went through all the screens and had it turned off it didn't ACTUALLY turn it off? I still have to physically call them to get them to turn it off?

And as much as your last piece of advice makes sense to me and I feel somewhat dumb for not doing it. I feel less dumb because of how many different posts on various websites I've found with the exact same problem. I say this because the ToS didn't pop in front of my screen when Microsoft was willing to take in my CC information and my money out of my bank account. So yes, I'm guilty of not memorizing their ToS completely when inputing my payment information.

So would the easiest way to do this perhaps be to have my sister add her CC to the account? Have her turn off auto-renewal but just have it there so I can take mine off?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I gave them a call and got the information I wanted. The representative I called said that they do not give 1 month cards/codes out for CC payments of a 1-month subscription. Only 3 months and 12 months. Other than that your post was fairly accurate according to what this guy said and I'll just wait it out until the sub ends and take everything off. Thanks again for the reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

the tou appears and you agree to it when you create the account. once you've agreed to the terms, there is no reaason for it to pop up again. no one expects you to memorize anything. the terms of use are available to read anytime on the website.

there is no way to turn off auto renew on the website. the only way to do that or to cancel the subscription is to call cs.

i don't mean to imply stupidity on anyone's part and i don't think that the number of people failing to read the tou should be relevant to the degree of stupidity you feel over not reading the tou.

the easiest way to resolve this situation will be for you or your sister to call cs and tell them what the situation is so they can provide options on how to recitify it.

Sorry this didn't help.

i believe i said that if you have more than a month remaining on the subscription that they would generate a token. obviously if you only have a monthly subscription then you will have less than a month by default. my post wasn't "fairly accurate" it was dead on.

thank you for playing our game...

Sorry this didn't help.

Although I'm going to sound ungrateful when I'm really not I'm going to have to disagree on two parts. I thoroughly questioned the representative I was speaking to so that I wouldn't have to make a second call. He said there is absolutely no option for him to give me a 1-month card in replacement of me canceling the account entirely. Now I questioned him on this asking specifically about the time-limit and he said that I qualified for having a month still since I had bought the Live month today; the same day I called him; but that he could NOT give me a month card because they only do it now for 3 months and 12 months now that the 1-month cards are not for retail anymore (except the ones they give you special with a repair or for some other reason; he went into some kind of details about not being able to access your account) so on this part he put me on hold for several minutes to consult with the "higher management" I guess and I'll have to take his word over yours unless you're their employee or something.

Second there is absolutely a way to turn off automatic renewal on their account. Which confused me since I read so many times that you couldn't from recent posts. Under My Xbox and Accounts there is a link to Account Management or something rather and on the side it will have a green "on" next to automatic renewal, you click it and go through a few pages of them advertising new games/movies and at the end it asks if you want to turn it off; I did and it worked. I know it worked because 1. on the side it became "off" under account renewal and I had the representative verify it over the phone and he confirmed it had been canceled without him doing anything.

Anyway like I said, I did call, I did get the answers I wanted on top of some of the things you mentioned so this isn't an issue anymore.

Sorry this didn't help.

i will clarify. monthly subscriptions are not eligible for token replacements.

automatic renewal has to be turned off through cx support. i think there may be some countries where you can still turn it off online. i apologize for presuming you were in the u.s.. in most countries it is not possible. if you are in the u.s. then my guess is the agent was humoring you and he actually was the one who turned off the auto renew feature.

Sorry this didn't help.

As much as I feel dumb for coming back to see if you disagreed just to prove you are right I am doing the same. As silly as it sounds to say that he would humor a customer by lying to them I can assure you I am right. I am in the United States and it does work to turn it off the way I described. It may say on these actual forums that you cannot but it is true that you can which is sort of funny since it's not listed as available here. I know this for a fact because a little over a month ago I disabled it on my own account via through the website when I started playing again on Xbox live. A month later I got a notice saying my live would be disabled

imageshack.us/.../autorenew.png

If you're afraid to click the link it says

"Dear Raise86 (my main gamertag),

Your subscription to Gold – 1 Month will expire on Thursday, June 16, 2011. To avoid a possible interruption of your subscription service, please renew your subscription by Thursday, June 16, 2011."

Just to see if it worked I waited until after the end of my sub and voila, I went down to silver; until I renewed manually.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm after looking into it more it seems that some people can and some people can't. I read that MS took away the feature and yet it's still there to me. To prove it like I said a month ago I renewed and this is exactly what my screen looks like now. Same as it did the previous month when I reverted to silver automatically after one month had passed. and this is the account I had not called about nor spoke with the representative at all about. So I know that nobody but I had changed the status of my auto-renewal. However the option was there 6 days ago when I renewed. (Had to blur out my name and card # for obvious reasons)

imageshack.us/.../autorenew2.png

Sorry this didn't help.

There is an awful lot of text here for "Call phone support." Is there some kind of issue persisting with your account, or did you successfully turn off auto-renewal?

Sorry this didn't help.