Removing Adverts from Dashboard

Hi guys (n' gals),

Is there a means to disable adverts on the dashboard?  When I purchased this product, it was bought as a games machine - not a revenue-generator for other companies to intrude into my living room with. I'm not aware of any mention of this on the packaging or description.  Some might say I'm being picky or grouchy, but I don't think so.  When I travel from one side of the dashboard to the other, I have to turn my volume down as the ads start loud music or dramatic sound fx when highlighted, unintentionally or not.

It's not like MS needs the money...

It would be like a pop-up advert appearing in Windows all the time whenever viewing the desktop or most folders.

Does Sony PS3 force ads upon it's user community? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Yeah, just looking over the dashboard..

Music frame

10 boxes -  3 functional = 7 adverts

TV/Movies frame

12 boxes - 5 functional = 7 adverts

Games frame

10 boxes - 4 functional = 6 adverts

Social frame

9 boxes - 3 functional = 6 adverts

Doesn't that come across as just slightly intrusive???

antimisandry - what's that then?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately you can't remove ad's from the dash.

I know what you mean about the sound/music on some ads,it is loud.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="KarlosFandango8"]Is there a means to disable adverts on the dashboard?[/quote]Yes. Don't connect the console to Live.[quote]When I purchased this product, it was bought as a games machine - not a revenue-generator for other companies to intrude into my living room with.[/quote]There is typically only one "advertisement" square on my dashboard panes at any given time. The rest are in-house productions to highlight sales, events, and new content.[quote]I'm not aware of any mention of this on the packaging or description.[/quote]it's in the Terms of Use that they may update the system software. If you don't agree to the Terms of Use, you can't create a Live account. No Live account, no ads.[quote]When I travel from one side of the dashboard to the other, I have to turn my volume down as the ads start loud music or dramatic sound fx when highlighted, unintentionally or not.[/quote]My dashboard is silent. I use the RB and LB buttons as they were intended. Meandering through the little boxes with the thumbsticks is slow.[quote]It's not like MS needs the money...[/quote]Spoken like someone who doesn't review their 10Q filings.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="ICESTORM III"]Yes. Don't connect the console to Live.[/quote]
This simple answer would have sufficed, thank you.

[quote user="ICESTORM III"]There is typically only one "advertisement" square on my dashboard panes at any given time. The rest are in-house productions to highlight sales, events, and new content[/quote]
Indeed, the highlighting of sales, events and new content is more commonly known as 'advertising'. Hence, it is considerably more than one 'advertisement'.

e.g. currently, I'm on the 'games' tab. I see three (far left) functional boxes; "my games, browse games & search games". The remaining six show adverts for F1 2012 FIFA13, Halo 4 (on demand), Destiny, Kinect sports (series 2) and Disney Universe.

I do not own any of the aforementioned games - so they are being 'advertised' to me by xbox, which I was unaware of when making the purchase of the product.

Regardless of the technicalities of whether the word 'advertisements' is right or wrong, the fact remains I paid a substantial sum for a product that did not mention agreement to being heavily spammed. I also did not note any mention of endless spam when signing up to the premium service known as 'live gold'. The whole concept of paying for such things is to avoid the other pay-methods. For example, we pay BBC a license for the service they offer and we do not get spammed endlessly but if we swap channels to one of the other terrestrial stations we know it has to be paid for via advertisement time/space.

[quote user="ICESTORM III"]Spoken like someone who doesn't review their 10Q filings.[/quote]
English please, we're not all savvy on whatever slang that is supposed to represent.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="KarlosFandango8"]Indeed, the highlighting of sales, events and new content is more commonly known as 'advertising'. Hence, it is considerably more than one 'advertisement'.[/quote]Highlights do not make noise. They're silent, far as I've heard. Anything you're coming across that makes noise is third party advertising.[quote]English please, we're not all savvy on whatever slang that is supposed to represent.[/quote]Microsoft's quarterly financial reports.

The gaming industry is not doing so well this year.

Sorry this didn't help.

You're right! When I go down town and see the large billboards of 8meters wide or the bus-long spots used to promote certain products,  I must remember to call them 'highlights' from now on.

And yes, your sarcastic comment is accurate then - I do not read the MS finances, but given the status it has enjoyed since it's inception, I don't think it's about to go down any time soon.

Anyway, it's been nice chatting. Toodles

:)

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="KarlosFandango8"]You're right! When I go down town and see the large billboards of 8meters wide or the bus-long spots used to promote certain products,  I must remember to call them 'highlights' from now on.[/quote]You specifically mentioned audio in your OP:

"When I travel from one side of the dashboard to the other, I have to turn my volume down as the ads start loud music or dramatic sound fx when highlighted, unintentionally or not."

There is no audio on the dashboard other than the square that is deliberatly labeled "Advertisement".[quote]And yes, your sarcastic comment is accurate then[/quote]There was no sarcasm in what I said. Microsoft and the gaming industry at large is not doing well. Advertising is a way to offset the lack of revenue from direct sales.

Go back through MS's 10Q reports. You'll see that the Entertainment Division may make a profit for the year, but typically runs in the red for one or more quarters. MS is not going to continually subsidize a divison that cannot make profits. Their shareholders would not be pleased.

Sorry this didn't help.