Refund policy for unauthorised transactions

Just wanting to get confirmation of what the CS rep told me on the phone - that there is no refund available for MS points purchased illegitimately (i.e. by account being compromised)? Also, why doesn't MS keep a log of IP addresses of purchases, as this seems to be a basic level of security and a way of verifying where a transaction took place?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2,499 Applies to:

If the points weren't consumed, then they can be reunfded. They would need to send it up for review. If someone gained access to your account without your authorization, and you cannot get in, then I would suggest calling and letting them know that your account was taken and cannot sign in. They will help you to initiate an investiagation for the fraud team to look into. Then you will receive a refund for the points if it was found taken.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please clearify what happened a bit,

Did someone

1. Get onto your Xbox console and purchase the points without your permission

2. Recovery Your Xbox Live Account and purchased the content

3.Steal your CC Number and use it

Sorry this didn't help.

If someone in your household used your account to purchase the points then no you would not be refunded anything. There are tools on the console to prevent unauthorized access to an account from your end. If you don't use them, that isn't MS's fault.

If someone stole your account, via phishing or social engineering, then you should call support and have them start an Unauthorized Access Investigation, at which time they will lock the account until it is complete, usually within 7-30 business days. If the account is found to have been out of your control at the time of the purchase you will be refunded the amount (so long as you don't use them). If it is found to have been in your control at the time of the purchase then you will not be refunded anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

Clarification: No-one in my household purchased the points. As far as I can tell someone at an external location (no idea where 'cos there's no logs available) logged into my account and purchased the points. Once I received the emails notifying me of the purchases (a couple of hours after it happened), I logged in myself, changed my password and removed the card from the account, and contacted customer support. What I was told is even though I hadn't performed the purchase, and no-one in my household had done it, there was no way I could get a refund apart from as points codes rather than money. Starting an Unauthorized Access Investigation wasn't even suggested by the rep. I'll phone support again once they open and specifically ask for an investigation, but surely this should have been suggested by the rep at the time as I was very clear about what had happened?

Sorry this didn't help.

well then you're not investigating the correct account

no matter what all purchases on an account is reflected in billing.microsoft.com or purchase history

however if you use multiple acccount swith the same contact email you will have to look into those accounts billing history

as the same windows live id is not nessarily the contact email

really this sounds like a case of a relative purchased something without your permission maybe on another account that you are not looking at

Sorry this didn't help.

if there is NO purchase of ms points or records of purchase on an account you are not looking at the correct account

that would be what xbox support is telling you

if there is NO records of the purchase on the account in question at HTTPS://billing.microsoft.com

then there is no fraudulant purchase as your account is not the one that made the purchase check your other accounts that use the same creditcard including family members

and noone can get your creditcard details or security code from your xbox account as you only see the last 4 digits

Sorry this didn't help.

I have one account and ONLY one account. None of my relatives have access to the account. The purchase shows up at the billing site, but it's rather uninformative - it just says x number of points purchased, it doesn't even give a proper timestamp (just a date), and no information that would help me work out where the transaction was made. No one else has physical access to my xbox, and that is the only machine that can log in to my account without requiring the password, so all I can think of is that someone has obtained my password by whatever means and then made the purchase - presumably giving up when they only managed to buy 6k points, not the further 5k they attempted to buy immediately afterwards (that transaction was refused by my bank).

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you are correct the phone rep you spoke to should have suggested that an Unauthorized Access Investigation be performed. There are some areas where MS could improve phone support, but until they do they have people like us forum regulars to point people in the right direction with the correct information. I know this may not be what you want to hear but it is the correct course of action, you need to continue to work with phone support to resolve this issue.

Good Luck.

By chance you may want to check your PC:

-run atleast two anti-spyware/anti-malware scans (ad-aware, malwarebyte's anti malware, iobit malware fighter, advanced system care 4-all of these are free and work very well at detecting keyloggers, trojans, etc.)

-run an anti-virus scan (nortons, ms security essentials, kapersky, etc)

-if you use the same e-mail address and password for your XBL account that you use for other websites/services then please change it. You should be using an e-mail and password strictly for XBL that you do not use for any other website/service.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you believe that someone else has taken control of your account, please contact phone support in your region (support.xbox.com/.../contact-us.aspx) and ask to open an Unauthorized Access claim. They will investigate your account (it will be frozen for the duration) and take any necessary action. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.