Recording Live commentary help please.

Hello my name is Mason.

I have recently started a youtube channel with a couple of my friends . 2 people cover computer based gaming . Me and my friend who live 5 minutes walking apart cover the Console based aspect. So i purchased a EasyCap . It works amazing great quality and everything but the only issue i seem to have is that i cant get my or my friends voice into the video with out editing it later. i would like to be able to have people hear the xbox live party ( i got that part done ) and also us ( the part i don't have ). i was wondering what the best way to do so was we are running on a $60 budget ( between summer and winter jobs we live on a ski hill and work there .)

Any help would be greatly apperciated.

Thank you very much.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 20 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You need to go preferences click on voice were it says voice output click on play through both. This will record everybody of your xbox party. For your voice you need a recording software like audacity to record your voice while playing and then editing it into your video and make sure its synced.

Yea i have been looking at goshowgold and it can record from 2 things at once so i would be able to record my voice and the audio in the gaming and video and it would have it all lined up because it was starting on its own and then i would just cut the unwanted front end off of it only issue is my PC has a burnet out battery and AC adapter and it only runs on Windows or linux and sadly i have a mac.

What would probably result in the best quality would be to have everyone record themselves using audacity, and then email you the .wav files upon completion.  Finally, using something like Sony Vegas Studio to sync/render the gameplay and audio together.

However, a $60 budget, I highly doubt you guys are using anything other than cheap headsets for audio though.

That would ruin the quality and include hours of splicing the audio just right....

How exactly would that ruin the quality?!  It would actually help.... a lot.  Provided, like I said, you all are using actual microphones, and not cheap headsets.

As for syncing the audio, it would probably take 10 minutes, tops.  As you'd have one long .wav file, if you used something like Sony Vegas Studio, you'd just have to slide the audio track next to another, preview to make sure it sounds like it's in-sync, and then render.  Presto-chango.

When I make my videos and need to record my voice by itself on my computer and then everyone else s on the party.  I usually do something to make it easier to sync my voice with theirs like jump or turn left and make a noise or says something when I do and then just edit it so that my voice is synced with the video. I do not know of any other way. This is not hard to do you just need to make sure your voice isn't over powering the other players. I don't know that there is any other way to do this. You might not even need to get audacity. I know that my computer came with a voice recording software so try just searching for one you might already have. Just make sure you save it somewhere you can find it like on your desktop.

Eggnogga : You would lose quality through compression , transferring , then the editing software when it uncompresses and recompresses it for play . if you just get there audio through the HDPVR by telling it to play through speakers it only has to compress it one time to upload youtube and the quality would be the same and they would not have to spend 50 - 60 dollars on a nice microphone for there computer instead they could buy a nice gaming headset from tritton or turtle and have the exact same quality but better sound. Also the average person lets say you met a person in game and want to do a quick video of them most likely there not gonna go oo hold on let me plug my computer mic in ,start the recording software , get your email , take the time to compress and upload it to your cloud ( since most emails wont take over a 5 mb file ). you end up with better quality in the end by just swaping the system to play through speakers and headset .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B4RevenantGamer: i found a way where you can take your HDPVR ( composite rga or s video based only works for s video if you have HDMI its a lot easier but i dont have a computer to record in hdmi with .) and if you don't want to deal with any of it you buy like 14 foot cords ( not that bad my tritton's have a 14 foot cord for the sound ) and you get a 1 2.5 to a 1 2.5 and 1 3.5 then you get a extension . one you plug into your mic jack and on you bring over the where your hdpvr is then you take 2 1 male to 2 female composite adapter and plug the into the l and R of you sound . then plug the audio into the correct side for the system , after that you take your 3.5 mm end of your extra unplugged mic cable and plug it into a 2 3.5 mm male to 2 3.5 male then plug either of those into a 3.5 mm to 2 composite male ( pref the corded not solid piece ones works better ) into the 2 empty composite female adapter holes left and right and presto its recorded with your game sound and all in live time. after i dug the cords out of my closet ( my dad runs a recording studio and store all his equipment here  so we have tubs of cords ) i tested it out and sure enough it worked the only issue i could find with it was the incontinents of all of it every time i wanted to do a video i would have to get a step ladder and get the cords down from next to my projector so instead i do what you do and record it separately using a microphone

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9JHFW7D4QQ] found this

^^  That's what I have/use.  I know you mentioned you're on a budget, so if you can swing the ~$150 price tag for the card, go for it.  However, it still doesn't help w/ your initial issue of recording your buddies mic's.

Going back to what you earlier said -- A proper microphone is 100X better for recording audio than any gaming headset would be.  Why?  Because a mic's sole purpose is for recording audio, while a gaming headset is mainly for hearing audio.

p.s.  If you do decide to go w/ the Elgato card, do not (at least at this point in time) click the option to have the game's audio sound automatically go down when you're speaking... provided you have "Live commentary" clicked.  For some reason, the software kept cutting off my voice at random intervals.  This happened in the 2-3 videos I recorded with it, and once I manually just readjusted the audio levels for the game in the software (and unclicked the auto feature), it fixed the problem.

if you actually knew a thing or too about head sets if you dont buy the cheapie $30 ones  then its going to work out better in the long run unless you all record to the same laptop in the same room to avoid any of the loss from copressions and decompression and editing . if you buy a nice pair of a gaming head set for $60-$70 you get the same end result and a better gameplay experince because of the nice professional gaming head set like i my first one then you dont have a issue my second one is more of just a i bought it because i had $400 in my change jug .-.and yea its expected with it since the 1.2 is in beta . but also with the compression this its why when i upload a 720 p video it drops down to 420 p because youtube compresses everything which is understandable and its why when i get my s-video cable today my 1080 p videos will upload a 720p compressions lower quality its why a minimal of 2 is good 1 to edit and 1 to upload and sorry for my slow responds im only 75 kills from the weekly halo 4 infinity weekly challenge