Recent update has refused to let me play online - Error 3151-335A-1380-0700-C000-003C

I bought myself a 360 elite a few years back (brand new), toook it out the box and put it in my TV cabinet. It has stayed there for the last few years, never needing to be repaired and never being modified. Last night though, I attempted to update it and was given the error code 3151-335A-1380-0700-C000-003C. The error would not let me update to the new firmware, but would let me play on the old firmware. Naturally I was upset as I wanted to play online, but waited till this morning to call customer support. The answer I got was this: "the patch was sent to detect modified consoled and you're obviously a pirate. Deal with it."

I cannot express how angry I am without the use of expletives, so I won't try. My console has never been opened, so unless Microsoft modded my console while it was in the factory or someone broke in to my house, modded my console and then left no trace there must be an error with the detection. I have had no repairs done at all, no modifications and the elite has never been opened. I am sorry for repeating those facts over and again, but having dealt with numerous CSRs who insist it has been modified I feel I need the point to be made. It it of no use telling me the console has been modified because, if it has, it was done before I received the machine. As I bought the machine brand new, this must have been done at Microsoft. I'm not sure if modifications can be done without opening the 360, but if they can, then this has never happened either. Again, I will state: THE CONSOLE HAS NOT BEEN MODIFIED IN ANY WAY.

Searching this site I have found the only reference to this code to be:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/p/4966/39604.aspx?PageIndex=2

Where TB7136 advises that this is a seperate issue to the modified console error.

I understand that there are many people saying their console hasn't been modded when it has, but I simply do not see the point of that as the truth will come out eventually. I am willing to show someone the console to prove it has never been opened. I am willing to take a polygraph to prove I have never had the console modified in any way.

How can I have my complaint heard and investigated without me being automatically assumed as being guilty? I have done nothing wrong and wish to prove this so I can get back to playing online.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm actually having the same problem, although I haven't talked to customer support yet. Troubling to hear that they think it's a modified console, I hope I don't get the same spiel. Hopefully someone helps us both out :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

After speaking with a few CSR's and having my complaint pushed up through a few supervisors I have been told that I have a modified console and that I have two options. Either send the machine in to Microsoft for repairs for a few weeks and pay $100 to have it fixed as it is out of warranty (even though this is an error brought about my Microsoft, not me) or to buy a new console. The trade in value of the old console meant that it was simply easier for me to buy a new console.

I understand that the CSR's have scripting they must follow, but a blanket response of "It's your fault, not ours" in this situation is just not good enough. Charging customers for repairs when the manufacturer has caused the fault is also unacceptable.

This is a case I'll be following up with the ACCC.

Sorry this didn't help.

My 6 moth old Slim can't get updated and therefore access live due to these error codes...

I've updated by console twice never encountered any of these problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well it's not related to the slim version as mine is the original 360.  I haven't called either but they won't get another dime from me.  I'm not going to buy a new one or send it in for repair, when they can fix it with an update.   I have never opened mine for any reason, nor has anyone else in any effort to mod.  Do they think people are foolish enough to call them to fix  a modded xbox?  If mine was modded, i'd be in touch with the people who did it, not xbox!

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know what happened, but after about the 5th time trying to update, it finally worked. 

Sorry this didn't help.

i have never modified my console.but i get the same number today.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had the same problem. They claim the system has been modified or tampered with. I offered to mail it or bring it anywhere for them to confirm that it has never been opened. I purchased the console in December 2009 and now they are telling me I am out of luck. I will need a new console if I want to play online.

Sorry this didn't help.

Maverick, what's the exact error code you're encountering?

Sorry this didn't help.

3151-335A-1380-0700-c000-003c

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Maverick, you'll need to call phone support about that code. You can reach them at 800-4MY-XBOX.

Sorry this didn't help.