Reading....Open Tray again and again and again

Guys..little history.  I HAD one of the first 360's with the HDMI port.  Had it for years, then one day it just stops reading disks.  The whole "Reading.....Open Tray" thing.  It was out of warrenty, so I tried to fix it myself.  FAIL.  I'm a computer nerd by trade, so swapping a DVD drive should have been no big issue...guess I didn't realize they were coded/flashed until it was too late.  So, that's console number 1 gone due to the Reading....Open Tray failure.

I bought a new one in January 2010.  By June 2010, that one had failed with the same problem and was sent off to Microsoft for repairs.  It was replaced.  In Feb. 2011 the same problem again, and it was replaced.  Here I am, September 9, 2011 and having the exact same problem again!  This time, I believe the unit is out of warrenty.  What the hell keeps on causing this?????

Would you believe, I still have my ORIGINAL XBOX and it still works?!  This is literally my fourth 360 console with the same problem, going on the 5th.  PLEASE explain why I'm having such terrible luck with these?  Guys, I hafta be honest, I have a Wii sitting right next to the 360....maybe I just scrap this headache altogether??!!  Thanks

Jim

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I have had the same problem. After the update three years ago that added installing games to the hard drive and I think it also changed to the "New Xbox Experience", my xbox started having issues reading discs where it always said "Open Tray." It started only taking a few opens and closes to work, but eventually got worse and worse. So I packed it up and sent it in to replace, and they did it, but then the new one started doing it again shortly after. Eventually my warranty was up and I didn't believe that they would fix it anyway, so I bought a newer Xbox, one of the quieter ones (but this was before the slim model). Well, not long later this new one started doing it too! So then I packed it up and sent it in to replace, and in the meantime I pulled out my old one and hooked it up, and magically it worked fine! Apparently the error goes away if you let it sit on a shelf unused for a long time. So that worried me that the console would work fine by the time it arrived at repair, and maybe it did--not certain if they sent me back a new one or just sent the same one back this time. Either way, it worked for a while and then before long it was doing it again. By then I was convinced that it was not really a hardware problem but a software problem, having something to do with my gamertag and that update. Since three or four successive consoles have done it in a row, and the only thing that has been continuous between them has been my gamertag, it seems really unlikely that it is a true hardware issue. That being said, Microsoft has never fixed it. My console went unused for many months this year and now that Gears 3 is coming I started it up again. Just as expected, it started working just fine, having sat on the shelf for a long time. Today though, the error started again. Microsoft has never fixed this problem and I'm pretty sure they never will. I found this post when looking to see if any new fixes had come out in the months I've been away.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Random, you make a good point.  I actually bought an xbox that was preowned.  Not only did it turn out to be a Crystal Edition xbox, it has never broken down or had any issues.  With regards to my 360, a month after the warranty ended I had to send it in for overheating issues.  Then, a year and a half later I had the open disk error but was able to fix it by purchasing a CD/DVD cleaner, but just 2 weeks ago I had an overheating issue again so that I had to send it in.  I am sure that I will get a referb back meaning that I will have 3 xboxs in a little less than 3 years.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.