RCA tv has some serious overscan issues when hooking up xbox one to it.

Brand: RCA 40" Full HD LCD TV

Model #: RLC4062A

Picked up a Xbox One at launched and was excited to get home and set it up and play. Well needless to say i had no overscan issues Playing games like Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts due to being able to adjust the Safe Area on the screen so nothing was getting cropped out. It wasn't until i tried to watch a video through the youtube app on the xbox one that i noticed that image had looked a little blown up.

So just to be safe i downloaded and loaded up twitch.tv app just to see if it was any better. Needless to say it blew up the picture like the youtube app did. So i figured the tv needed to be calibrated to better accommodate my Xbox one. so after about half an hour of adjusting settings on my tv, i started to look online to see if there was a way to rectify this or if others were having the same issue. Any article i came across was basically a bust aside from a few that mention overscan as the main issue for some Wii U's at launch and some Xbox 360's when hooked up to certain tv's. 

So naturally i figured i would have to check and see if this problem persists on another tv in order to rule out faulty hardware. So I hooked it up to another that was also full HD (1080p). So after i set it up on another tv, i made sure it was calibrated properly (which it was) and loaded up the youtube app and twitch app seperately to make sure the image wasn't blown up like on the RCA tv. Both youtube and twitch displayed as they would normally. So the main question i have is why is my brand new system has to many issues with my RCA tv, yet my PS3 auto adjusts to 1080p in the settings and displays Blu Rays in 1080p. My Xbox 360 also has no issues with my tv. Is it because it is not one of the supported brands at launch or just an oversight. The system is great and i just wish it auto-adjust properly so nothing gets cropped.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 153 Applies to:

I have the same problem with the Xbox One on my Samsung.  I would think they could fix the issue via software update to add the screen re-size feature, just like the PS4 has. The PS4 has the option to shrink or enlarge the screen during setup (or in the settings).  I have commented in the Audio/Video support feedback section, asking for this feature to be implemented on the Xbox One.  We will see if they do anything.  It doesn't seem it would be a difficult thing to implement.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I too have this issue. A shame this has taken so long for Microsoft to resolve or even acknowledge this problem which appears to be affecting a good number of users, where Nintendo and Sony both addressed their issues in good time. Surely Microsoft can do the same. I don't think I will be buying anything for this system when I can't be guaranteed that it will actually display on my TV properly and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys! I had an issue and didn't even realize it until I did a full calibration and discovered something odd. My TV has several display or Aspect Ratio settings (16:9, 16:10, 4:3, etc.) The weird thing is, if it is set to 16:9 (which is the proper widescreen format) it will still stretch beyond the edges of the screen.

There IS a way to fix it, though. Check your televisions' display setting, in the list with 16:9, 4:3, etc., and see if you have an option which says something like "Just Scan." This is the option I chose, and now everything fits perfectly, with no needing to adjust the screen size in specific games.

I have an LG HDTV, which has most of the same menu options as Samsung, but most 1080p TV brands should have a similar aspect setting.

Let me know!

Sorry this didn't help.