Randomly disconnecting from Xbox Live?!

Hi, I'm Rhysaldino or Rhys, and I've had my Xbox for nearly two years. In those two years, I've had no connection problems whatsoever. But in the last three days, I've been disconnected from Xbox Live every 1-2 minutes for hours on end. It will then say something like 'cannot connect to server' and then on the second try, lets me reconnect. Then, within the next couple of minutes, occasionally only about two seconds, it'll disconnect me and I'll have to go through the whole thing again. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH MY INTERNET CONNECTION. Everyone else in the family has no internet problems, and even when my Xbox is the only device connected to the internet, it still disconnects.

Please help? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 27 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Go here

Issues with Connection Speed or Disconnects                

Find solutions to many connection issues, including slow game play, poor performance or lags between actions, pauses during video streaming, and frequent disconnections. Learn how you can improve your wireless signal, maximize your bandwidth, and more.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there, Rhys. Thanks for bringing your question to the forums. We'd be more than happy to help you get this sorted out!

To start, can you provide us with a little extra context behind when and where these disconnections occur? Do they happen when you play certain games, run apps, or are sitting at the dashboard? In addition, it would be very helpful to us if you could take a look at this sticky and reply back with your responses to the questions in bold at the bottom of the page: forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx.

Thanks in advance! Standing by for your response. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, Rhys. Just checking in here to see if this was resolved or if you still need to work on this. If you do need more assistance then please go ahead and reply back to the questions in bold in the sticky I posted above. We're here to help! Thanks. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I been having this exact problem for a few months too. It happens during Netflix every 20 minutes which makes the app completely unusable. Sometimes happens in between games on Halo but luckily it's rare during games. I've moved the xbox and router closer together, elevated the router, made sure those no other users on the internet. The Xbox just disconnects for absolutely no discernable reason.

Sorry this didn't help.

man this is froustraiting it happens to me all the time like every 10 seconds it connects  and disconnects from xbox live. only on wireless i have 2 consoles and the wired one never disconnects can watch netflix for 12 hours straight without interruption, i switch the consoles to see if maybe it was the console problem but it happend again cant play cant watch movies and i have done all the trouble shooting stuff and nothing works. i have the zoom modem router model 5350

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been getting this problem a lot in the last couple weeks. Never that often though. The worst was 3 times in an hour. Doesn't seem to discriminate on games I'm playing, right in the middle of matches in Black Ops 2, while playing Far Cry 3,.... I'm not really sure what's up. The WiFi stays up, as does the internet to the computer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TFG!  I'd suggest hitting up that guide that xbox360italy posted.  If that doesn't help you out, then you can make a fresh thread with info about your connection, and we'll be happy to take a look!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Miss Ermine, It seems like the issue has been solved for now, I stumbled upon another thread that was talking about switching the channel on my router. So far it seems to be working. About 4 hours continuous play between me and my brother and no disconnects.

If it persists I'll be sure to come back :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Awesome sauce!  Thanks for the update :D

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a solution that worked for me.... Whether you are using a wired or wireless connection try this...  Unplug the router and then plug it back in. When it comes back online, turn on the xbox and go to settings. DO NOT GO TO THE NETWORK SETTINGS. Go to the Initinal Setup program.  Rerun that. Once you do, that should solve the issue. At least it did  for me. Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.