Random Live Disconnects

Hello,

I have been struggling with an intermittent connection issue for the last month (see post here http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/t/47088.aspx?PageIndex=3).  I had purchased a new Xbox and new router, when I set them both up the problems started.  Cross-testing with old/new router/xbox didn't solve anything.  I had my ISP replace my modem and inspect lines/jacks.  Eventually, I ended up manually assigning DNS on the Xbox, and everything was working great.  THEN, I had to plug in my old router to prove it worked for a Craigslist sale, and when I reconnected the new one my intermittent issue reappeared.  The disconnects occur during gameplay, Netflix viewing, and while idle on the dashboard.  No other equipment (laptops) on the network seem affected.  Signing back in works immediately, 100% of the time.  Time between disconnects is usually between 2 min and 30 min.

Since the problem has resurfaced, I have restarted modem and router multiple times, restored the wireless network to default settings on the Xbox, and tried manually assigning DNS again, all to no avail.  Here are my answers to the questions from START HERE...

State: WA

Modem: Motorola SB5101

Router: Apple Airport Express A1264

Connection Type: Wireless

Encryption: WPA2

Adaptor: 360Slim Internal

Things you have tried: See above

UPnP Enabled: Don't Know 

NAT Open: Yes

Error Codes: None

Internet type: Cable

ISP: Comcast

More Info: 

W: 0000-0021

X: 0000-F001

Y: 20A8-48E0

Z: 0000-0000

ID: FFFF-FFFF

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

same issue

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is yours one that started recently?  Any luck fixing?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here, really started today. Friend of mine on the other side of the country has the same problem (Netherlands). Occurs roughly 4 times per hour. Direct reconnecting is usually not an issue, but the problem as is makes it currently impossible to use xboxlive.

I can understand services are not always easy to maintain, but for a paid service it would be nice to receive an update on a problem without me first having to connect/disconnect for two hours in a row and then start using this (shamefully bad) forum.

Sorry this didn't help.

This also happens to me in the UK, it really grinds my gears !!!! Seems to happen when i play campaigns on games, not during multiplayer matches. Still annoying though as most of the time i'm in voice chat or a party. Happens about 5 times in a row every couple of hours. Whats the crack Microsoft ?

Sorry this didn't help.

OP: I'm confused what you meant when you said cross-testing with the old hardware "didn't solve anything". Does this mean you have the same issues regardless of what modem/router/console combination you tried?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry that that wasn't very clear.  Yes, I had the same problem despite different modem/router/console combinations.  I had my old router (previous-generation Apple Airport Express) and old xbox (20GB Pro) for over a year without problems before this all started.

I suspect that the problem has to do with network/router settings.  Although the old router didn't experience problems before my big change, prepping it for sale involved updating the firmware and clearing established settings.  These settings weren't modified in any special way (no manual adjustments to port forwarding or anything), but factory default on the device three years ago must be different in some way than factory default now.  I did try installing the next-to-newest firmware, but that didn't help either.

I find it odd that manually assigning DNS fixed it once, but won't do so again.  Maybe it wasn't ever fixed and I just got lucky that the problem didn't occur in that couple-week window?

I hope this information helps you (and me) fix the problem!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, to rule out this being a wireless issue have you tried connecting wired?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried connecting to wired, with tentative positive results.  Because of cable jack placement, a wired connection requires a cable strung across the middle of my living room, which isn't tolerated for very long.  Wired setup has never disconnected from Live, but hasn't been able to be tested for more than 45-60 minutes at a time.

The Live Support twitter account suggested resetting my network hardware again, which I did to mostly to humor them.  However, I don't know if I reset the modem/router after restoring the 360 to default network settings and re-assigning DNS.  I haven't been able to use it much this week, but in the limited play (3 sessions of no more than 45 minutes at a time) it hasn't disconnected.  Maybe that will solve it?  I'll check back in with the weekend's results.

Sorry this didn't help.

If the issue is just related to wireless try some of the tips here;- www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../114-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless especially changing wireless channel

Sorry this didn't help.

If the issue is just related to wireless try some of the tips here;- www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../114-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless especially changing wireless channel

Sorry this didn't help.