Random icmp fails

Hey guys if someone can help me out that would be great, so here is my problem.  Recently  i noticed my dashboard started loading quite slowly and i get random disconnects from xbox live saying icmp error, some days i barely get disconnected and i others i get disconnected every 20 minutes.  I have changed routers, reset my networking hardware, opened up dmz, etc etc.  Nothing seems to work, by the way I'm with shaw and changed routers from a linksys wrt54gv2 to a e2500 linksys.  If anyone can give me some help that would be great and like i said it just randomly started happening one day.  I did clear out my hard drive which made my dashboard load a bit faster and that's about it, someone plz HELP!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey there PJ!

There are some questions unanswered to this issue. Would be great if you could please read: START HERE! And post back in full detail from the piece which is in bold.

Make sure your router firmware is up to date (visist manufactures website and see if there is a later firmware version available then your current one). Remember to reset your router after you apply any update for it.

Reset your Xbox network settings back to the defaults or make sure it is set to automatic
As a temporary solution, try a modem connection to determine if you are able to connect without any issues.

Post back with the details and let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanx for responding, by the way i have updated my routers firmwire and reset the modem along with the router and still get the same problems.  Here are the details:

W:0000-000B

X:0000-F001

Y:20A8-4840

Z:0000-0000

ID:FFFF-FFFF

L:0015-10F0

Q:8007-0435

T:Wired

A:192.168.1.123/255.255.255.0

G:192.168.1.1

D:64.59.144.18/64.59.144.19

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info PJ! Can you confirm if that information was taken right after you got disconnected from LIVE? If not, can you wait until your next disconnect and then run the test again? Also, please let me know the following information as well. This will help us narrow down what might be causing your issue. Thanks! 

What Country/State/Province do you live in? 
Modem brand & model number: 
Router brand & model number: 
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT?
Any Error Codes you encounter: 
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? 
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gwyther thanx for responding, to answer your first question the report i posted first is when my connection passed the xbox live connection test.  When i fail the xbox live connection test because of icmp these are the results:

W:0000-0000

X:0000-0000

Z:0000-0000

ID:FFFF-FFFF

L:0015-10FO

Q:8015-1004

T:Wired

A:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

G:0.0.0.0

D:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

Now here are the next answers to your other questions:

1- Canada, BC

2-Motorola, SB5101

3-Linksys e2500

4-Not wireless

5-UPNP enabled

6-No nat problems, nat is open because i am using the dmz feature

7-I do not encounter any error codes

8-Shaw

9-No values appear

Thanx for the response

* I have played around with the upnp, dmz ad port forwarding features and nothing seams to work.  Still get the icmp fail messege through the xbox live connection test

Sorry this didn't help.

It's still possible in your router (even with the XBOX in the DMZ) that something is being filtered (ICMP, Ident, NAT) as it comes in or goes out.     You can also check your modem (and-or with the ISP) to see if something on the other side of the router is doing something to get in the way.    

You should also make sure the modem/router/switch/etc and the XBOX are set to the same time, date and timezone, and that inside your network from various places that you can ping the XBOX, router gateway of your network , your DNS servers, WAN address and a couple of web sites including xbox.com       Another thing is to try and do a trace route to somewhere on the Internet to make sure everything in the path is  working.    en.wikipedia.org/.../Traceroute

Sorry this didn't help.

Note Make sure you have disable UPnP and Port Forwarding when you have set up DMZ (always keep these features separate from each). On your router access the Security, Firewall and look for Filter Anonymous Internet Requests, untick this option and save.

As SFAL suggested, check with your ISP to determine if this is something on their side.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there guys thanks for the responses and help, ill definitely try some of the other options you guys suggested.  The thing that is weird is that this problem just started out of the blue a couple weeks ago, and when i reboot my network settings on my linksys settings page the problem seems to be fixed for a temporary amount of hours when i am gaming. Another strange thing is also that my computer works just fine, ill keep you guys posted.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys just did the traceroute test on my linksys page and every hop out of 30 says: (**Request timed out) any suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

For the first, whenever I have an issue with the XBOX getting out but other things working, it's almost always DNS.  It's happened for me very rarely since using DNS Benchmark to find the most reliable quickest servers, which I put in as the router's DNS and then pointed the XBOX to the router .     You can check to see if www.xbox.com is correctly resolving to something like 63.97.127.43    

When things get into a state where things don't work, what I usually do is power off the modem and the router, leave them off for 30-60 seconds, turn on the modem and after a minute or two, turn on the router.   After another minute or two I check everything from a computer.  

For the second, all timeouts on a traceroute.   Maybe none of the steps along the way are answering  for whatever reason.    (While not every host (destination) you're trying to get to is going to answer, and not every hop along the way is going to reply all at all or every one of the three tries, at least some of the hops along the way should be answering some of the time.)     It is possible the router/firewall or something in the client machine you're using for the traceroute is at fault.   Blocking things that should be working, on either the computer, router or both.   You'll have to check things including the filtering that taidara wrote about..

I'd first make sure you can get on a computer on the network and ping both the XBOX's IP address and the gateway IP address internally on your network.   Next you can try the WAN address, which is the IP your modem should have/be providing to the router, the one that actually is on the Internet.    For all this, doing an "ipconfig /all" in Windows or "ifconfig" in Linux, and looking at the router setup and status, should work to get all the details.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey SFAL thatnx for replying again, i checked and did all the things you told me to try in your latest post and still nothing.  I also forgot to mention in my last post that whether my 360 is on of off that i still get 100% packet loss, and yes out of 30 hops all it says in each hop is **Request timed out.  I did however do the whole ipconfig/ all thing that you mentioned and these where my results with my 360 connected and running:  

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Home>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lidka

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : vf.shawcable.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : vf.shawcable.net

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit

Ethernet Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-E6-D5-A2-33

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.59.144.18

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:29:17 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 01, 2012 12:29:17 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Home>

**Ive also pined my router and home computer and everything pings fine, thanx and hope to hear from you soon

Sorry this didn't help.