Random disconnects from Xbox Live

For about three weeks now I've been having problems with random disconnects from Xbox Live. It can be so much pain if it happens during online game, and I've lost some hours of hard work because of disconnects. Often I can't reconnect to live immediately after dropping, but have to wait for a while or try a few times before it works again. I've been a paying gold member for over three years, and earlier I've never had any problems without actual network hiccups, so something must have changed to cause these problems. At first I thought it could be related to Feb 16th update, but the first time I encountered this was on March 11th while playing Mass Effect 3. I had been playing some other games quite a lot in the previous weeks without any kind of problems, so it wasn't probably the update alone.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of clear pattern for the disconnects, it might happen every half an hour, or not even once during the whole evening. It most definitely isn't related to heat or load issues, because it has happened also when not actually playing anything, and once I couldn't sign in to Live immediately after booting up the console.

When the Live connection test is successful, it says that my configuration may limit online experience. The test has always said my NAT is moderate, and it has never been a problem in the past three years, once I set up the required ports. My network setup has been the same all the time. The actual internet connection of the house as far as I know is done with two ADSL lines, but I get internet to my apartment via ethernet cable, and I have no access to the modem(s), so I know nothing about it.

In my apartment I have a Linux server with a static public IP for the internet connection doing standard NAT for my home network. Traffic from the home network to the internet is completely open, and from the internet to the home network appropriate ports (UDP 88, TCP/UDP 3074) are set up for the Xbox specifically. Xbox itself is connected with a cable to a gigabit switch, which has all of my wired devices. I have static IPs for all the devices in my home network, and all my devices access the internet through the same NAT, including the laptop I'm writing this on, and I have a software constantly monitoring problems with network connectivity, so I know fairly well when there's an actual network problem.

Immediately after dropping from Live and running connection test I get these codes (tested on three occasions, the same every time):

W: 0000-000B

X: 0000-000D

Y: 20A8-4800

Z: 0000-0000

ID: 0007-0000

L: 0015-10F0

Q: 801C-274C

Right after booting my console when everything is fine the report is slightly different:

W: 0000-000B

X: 0000-000D

Y: 20A8-4800

Z: 0000-0000

ID: 0007-0000

L: 8015-0002

Q: 8007-0435

The rest of the codes are always the same, like I said, I use wired connection and static IPs in my home network.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

There is multiple reasons this could be happening. Either the fact that your router is to old or its overloaded with to many devices. One thing you can try is to hard wire your xbox. Or you go into the network settings and set all items to manual. After you do so then punch in the correct info. If this does not work attempt to set your xbox back to factory settings.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello sphaa! Thank you for your post. :) Reading through your entire issue, it sounds like you are using a unique setup, in that you are using a server as your routing device. Unfortunately, this will limit our ability to help you troubleshoot this issue. The connection test results you provided do not show anything out of the ordinary. In order to try and determine where exactly the issue may lie, would you be able to bypass your server and connect directly to your ethernet jack? This will help us better determine if this is a configuration issue with your routing device, or whether it may be an issue elsewhere. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

About a week ago I tried to bypass my server/router/firewall, using DHCP address from house network directly, and when it worked like a charm for a while despite moderate NAT I thought I'd try to track what kind of traffic there is when Xbox is disconnected from Live, using tcpdump on my routing server. For some reason the Xbox hasn't disconnected since. Like I thought, nothing had changed on my network configuration and the problem just appeared. It seems like Xbox had got its network stuff somehow messed up and reconfiguring the network settings once or twice resetted something and fixed it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Sphaa, so it sounds like your Xbox 360 console is function normally on Xbox LIVE at this point then? If that's the case, awesome! We'll leave this thread open in case you need anything else from us in the near future. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, looks like everything's back to normal, I haven't had a single disconnect in almost two weeks. Based on several similar threads on this board it seems that this may actually be a pretty common bug that was somehow triggered around a month or two ago.

Sorry this didn't help.