Random disconnects from live on 1 of 2 Xbox 360 Slims

So we have 2 Xbox 360 Slims sitting side-by-side, they both connect to the same gigabit router (wndr3700) via cat6 cable.  Both Xbox have the same network settings (auto, wired).  Xbox #2 has no problems connecting to live, playing games, or staying connected.  Xbox #1 randomly disconnects from live but only when playing a game, and it doesn't matter if the game is online or offline.  Test network settings never produces an error code on Xbox #1.  After I start playing a game I get disconnected usually within about 5 minutes.  Once I quit the game and return to the dashboard I'm immediately signed back in to Live.

Xbox #2 never loses connection.

Xbox #1 experiences this problem both when Xbox #2 is on and being played and when Xbox #2 is turned off.

I've tried hard coding the IP address for Xbox #1 and placing it in my router's DMZ, but the random disconnects occurred at the same frequency.

I also tried setting up port forwarding (using the ports recommended in the Xbox 360 troubleshooting documents) to the Xbox #1 IP address, this also did not affect the disconnects.

The NAT setting on my router is Open.

UPnP is enabled.

Internet connection type is Cable - Comcast

Previously we were using a DLink Dir-655 and did not see this problem.  The problem started when we switched to Netgear WNDR3700.

Any ideas why this is occurring and how to fix it?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Hi,

What version of firmware are you using on the Netgear?

Also turn off your forwarding and DMZ and set your Xbox ip addresses back to auto.

Just use UPnP, xbox ip address auto, no DMZ no forwarding and reboot everything. Let us know about the firmware though

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have since turned off DMZ and port forwarding and the issue still occurs.

My firmware version is 1.0.0.8, the issue was occurring with the previous firmware version (unsure about the exact version).

My router is WNDR3700 v2.

What really boggles my mind is that the other Xbox 360 has the same settings, is connected to the router in the same way and has zero problems staying connected to live.

One additional piece of information is that one time I was disconnected from live on Xbox #1 when I turned on Xbox #2.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks I'm afraid that version isn't on the certified list which will be why your struggling:- support.xbox.com/.../network-hardware-compatible-xbox-live.aspx

The v1 hardware & firmware is, but not the v2 as yet which would explain the issue, only certain routers will work properly with two Xboxes www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../63-two-xboxes-using-one-router-internet-connection

That said it v1.0.0.6 does appear to be Win7 certified so I would say your better off using that https://winqual.microsoft.com/LogoVerificationReport.aspx?sid=1431391

Any reason why you ditched the Dlink 655?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Dlink had some terrible WiFi issues that I couldn't seem to resolve.  There are hundreds of threads on the problems and none of the solutions worked for me.  The netgear has had flawless WiFi connectivity so far.

My issue occurs even when Xbox #1 is the only one turned on, which means it's not really a multiple xbox issue.  In fact, I forgot to mention my 3rd Xbox 360 in the basement, an elite.  It behaves the same as Xbox #2 (slim) in that it stays connected to live.  Xbox #3 is on wireless, so maybe I should put #1 on wireless and see if that helps.

I'm going to try some of the solutions posted in other threads, like doing hard drive maintenance and resetting my network settings (in case Xbox #1 retained some settings from the old router).

Sorry this didn't help.

Arr ok fair enough , if its narrowed down to a single Xbox yes try a network factory reset on that Xbox

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried factory reset and hard drive maintenance and no luck with either.

I switched over to wireless and the problem went away.  Not an idea solution but at least it works.

Sorry this didn't help.