RAM issue - game crashes to dashboard

The RAM issue - the cache isn't flushing - ie. game crashes back to dashboard - is it even possible for an update to fix this? Or will my console forever be faulty?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 344 Applies to:

Is a fix coming or not?

It's been 3 months and not a peep from MS. If a fix hasn't come by now, there likely never will be one. It's a pain in the *** having to power cycle every time.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Im more then certain its possible to fix it with a update, and like you said its only been 3 months, give them time, they cant fix every single problem within 1 update. Do the hard reset thing, push and hold power button for 15secs.

Sorry this didn't help.

If a game crashes to dashboard, also try quitting it (select the app/game on the home screen, press the view button [new start button], and go to quit).

As TwitchingBug also stated, it's only been 3 months, and it isn't a problem for the majority of people. The Xbox team has been hard at work making a large amount of quality of life improvements already. If you think about the Xbox 360, they had an update once every six months. The Xbox One will have had two major updates in the course of three months.

Sorry this didn't help.

Why would some consoles be having a RAM overload / memory leak issue but not others?

How do I know that an update  will be created to fix this issue?

I contacted MS support last night and they told me that since a power cycle gives you a temporary fix then they will not be creating an update to fix this issue. EVER.

I just want an update to fix this issue. I've scoured the Internet and MS hasn't even acknowledged the issue!

Sorry this didn't help.

No one really even knows what the problem is. People have theorized it is a memory leak issue. MS support does not have knowledge on what the Xbox team is developing, so I don't know why they would say that.

The reason why MS hasn't acknowledged it is probably because they are unsure as to what causes it, and because it doesn't affect the majority of users, plus there being a fix (even though it is inconvenient). As a developer, they want to push the best product as they can, so they will be making tweaks here and there to hopefully fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you spoken to Support?

You should try this first and just list the symptoms.

Don't "presume" you know what the issue is even if the internet has told you that you do.

With technology it's a straightforwards fault diagnosis process.

Let them talk you through the basics, probably stuff you've already tried but eventually they shall be able to either get you working or establish that your console is faulty.  If your console is faulty you can take it back to the retailer who sold it to you for a replacement or a refund.

Sorry this didn't help.

My Partners Brand new Xbox one doing the same thing, either crashing to dashboard and then after around a minute the dashboard/home page freezes as well, or will just freeze on game loading pane. It has also done it with out any game be played (and none in background either) whilst just in settings 'app'!!!!

But for us Power cycling doesn't seem to make any difference - still will freeze as soon as you try to go into (any, disc or download) game, sometimes will take 4 or 5 sometimes more reboots/power cycles to even get the console on!

Very frustrating that in the first week of owning a £400 games console, we have spent more time rebooting, unplugging, re downloading games and doing a factory reset - than we have actually been able to play it!

Spent hours and hours of my time on chats and telephone with Microsoft's Xbox support (tier 2) - and after a mess up with choosing which method we wanted to use (wait around 2 weeks for repair or advanced replacement - have a hold put on a card to get a replacement console straight away)

At first we chose to wait longer because of the £360 hold on a card - but then when the adviser explained just how long it would take (after he had already put the service order through!) we changed our minds

First order was cancelled but hey presto their system will not allow a new order to be created for 24 hours! (This initial call was at 5.20pm Sat Evening and as the order was not cancelled until 5.59pm had to wait till Monday morning as their lines close at 6pm on Sundays!!!!)

Call up a 10am Monday morning and still unable to create new order for replacement as 'A glitch in their system has prevented the order from properly cancelling'  - case put through to Escalations Team but they will take 1-2 days to get back to us!!!! WTF! Surely and escalations team (Tier 3 Support) should be faster than this considering those will be the cases that have already taken too long for a solution!

Anyways as I write this (Tues 5pm) it so far been 31hrs since it was 'Escalated' and so far no communications from them.

Because of the shoddiness of the support I have received in this and another matter (to do with my own Xbox live account which I am unable to make purchases with - even free downloads!)

I decided to contact Tesco's support as the console is only 14 days old - originally wanted to refrain from doing this as it meant undoing all of the careful neat wiring that i had spent ages tie-wrapping - but with xbox support taking longer and longer decided to see how fast I could get a replacement via my retailer.

Called them yesterday afternoon and they have already shipped my replacement, and arranged the same courier to pick up the old console, they had no problem shipping/picking up from a different address as they will be no one in at home. Received two emails, the first confirming the order of replacement buy express delivery - with the £404.95 taken off with a voucher code, and the second email confirming it has been dispatched and should arrive on the 02/04 (tomorrow).

If we run into the same issues with replacement console i will be getting a refund and buying a PS4!

Hopefully we wont as my partner doesn't wanna lose his gamer score - but this has certainly made me rethink buying the Xbox one, which I had originally planned to do in a couple of months!

Sorry this didn't help.

This happens to me as well, but only in Forza. I get into the game and click to start a race and it kicks me out to the dashboard and exits the game.  Not sure if it is the game or the console giving me issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have it also in different games/apps. Weird and very bad that after 2 months the Support didn't make a comment in this Topic yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

Class act and sue microsoft

Sorry this didn't help.