Rainbow Circles and Vertical Dotted Lines

I get a very strange problem with my Xbox 360 250GB Slim model, I previously sent it in and they returned it back with no known problems found. I even sent the attached images of my problem. 

Basically this mainly happens when I playing a game like COD:BO2 or Halo or whatever after a period of time. I'll be playing and all of a sudden a bunch of colored rainbow circles will appear and dotted vertical lines appear aswell. It still is playable but it is very hard to play, and often times I quit because of the circles/lines distorting my view so much. 

I've tried different HDMI cables, tried not using them and used the colored cables. I've tried moving the Xbox to a different TV. The problem persists. When I sent it in a while back, they only sent it back with no problems found.

I've also tried resetting the Display settings which was a reported fix in a similar topic, to no avail. 

(This is NOT my photo, but it is my problem) http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2i7u904&s=7#.Um7HePmsiSo (Stolen from: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/17002.aspx)

If it helps I will upload my own photo, which will look a lot like the photo above, later. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

G'day Matthewmp! Sorry to hear that was sent back unfixed, very strange.

It sounds like you've tried all the normal troubleshooting for this (different A/V cables, different TVs, reset display, etc), so let's get a little more info.

1. How long do you play for before that visual distortion starts?
  2. Do you have any accessories plugged into the console, such as a USB drive, capture card, or 3rd party headset?
  3. Does the distortion only appear in games or does it continue on the Dashboard?
  4. Are the games you play on disc, downloaded from the Marketplace, or are both types of games affected?

Those answers can help point us in the right direction, so please get back to us when you can! =)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response!

1. It's normally an hour or two, it depends honestly. I haven't really timed it. What I think it is that it is overheating, hence I went out a bought a fan for the xbox.

2.See above. Bought a fan for the Xbox.

3. I know it happens in games, I don't know about the dashboard, because I really haven't sat at the dashboard for that long. (I will check later today)

4. Games are on disc. I do have Halo 3 that I download from Games With Gold. I can try that later.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Matthew,

First off, I would recommend against any fan that attaches to your console. These have a tendency to draw power from the console and the wattages can do bad things to the motherboard.

• When your console gets this weird distortions, I would check the light on the power supply and see what it shows. 
    • If you've tried moving the console to a different TV, it sounds like you've used multiple outlets, so it's possible there is an issue with the power supply.
  • Are you able to try a different power supply with your console?
  • Also, please let us know how things look with your Game on Demand.
  • Does this happen if the disc is installed on your hard drive or to a USB drive?

Please let us know and we'll go from there.

Sorry this didn't help.

Pretty sure it's an overheating issue. I got Battlefield 4 yesterday and was only 10 mins... (10 mins!) into playing online, here's the photo I took. 

When I went to turn the console off, it was really hot, and this was with the fan unplugged, I was better off with the fan plugged in, I actually got an hour and a half. 

http://tinypic.com/r/wguxsg/5

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Matthew,

I just want to make sure that your console is on a stable playing surface with plenty of room around the vents for air circulation? We recommend at least 6 inches between the vents and any other objects. 

The issues you are experiencing can also be described in our Unclear images on your TV article. Can you try the troubleshooting steps listed there and let us know if that helps as well?

Sorry this didn't help.

Troubleshooted the steps on the article you gave me and the spot I have it in now has 7 inches of room. But, I moved it to openair and it still did it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you been able to try your downloaded copy of Halo 3? If it's happening with downloaded games as well as disc-based, then we can rule out any disc drive issues.

If it doesn't happen with Halo 3, try installing one of your disc-based games to the hard drive and see if that makes any difference.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. I have the same issue.  Xbox 360 still under warranty.  I have sent it back 3 times with a detailed description and pictures of the problem.  Each time they send it back with a letter stating they were unable to find anything wrong with the unit.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, AdorableFern819.... I sent it in and they sent it back... Couldn't help me... I even sent it in with pictures of the problem, I'm out of warranty now, but they were not helpful....

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to see I am not the only one with this problem. If this helps it happens on both DLC and Disk games. It does it anywhere form 2min to 3hours. I can watch movies all day long and no problems, but as soon as I switch to a game it will show up right away. I pulled the covers off with cold air blowing on the system and it happened so I don't think its a heat problem. Next I will unplug it from my serge protector and go directly to wall to see if that changes anything.

Sorry this didn't help.