Racers: In-Car view or External (behind the car) view??

This is a hugely important factor in how good a racing game is. 

Forza3 is a good example of a racer where the handling is brilliant in ALL camera views.

Sega Rally and SHIFT2 are good examples of racers where the handling from external views is AWFUL because the cars jump and jerk around, but when you switch to in-car or bonnet angles it suddenly comes alive.

MotoGP 10/11 is one of the few which has poor in-car(bike) views but good external view controls.

I think the views you have are make or break for a racer.

Is there one view you ALWAYS use regardless? Or are you able to mix it up as I do depending on how it feels??

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I always have to have it in 3rd person in driving games, no idea why, just feels more natural that way. Of course it doesn't work so well irl as proven in the Rooster Teeth Video Game Car Immersion video but it still feels natural in games.

Only time I use First Person when driving is in a game like Battlefield so I can see the HUD of the Tank or whatever, proper racing games are always 3rd Person for me.

In car view only for me, also use the handlebar view on bikes in PGR4. The only time I use a 3rd person view is on some heavy rain races in F1 2010, mainly because I can't see a thing in cockpit view with the spray from other cars.

Depends on the game, F1 2010 i always use the "T cam", TDU 2 i use the bonnet cam but most other racing games i tend to use the furthest out view of the car/bike as possible.

Good mix so far then.....haven't you noticed any games where the 3rd person view feels bolted onto the game and the car reacts extremely badly to the road? I found this most noticeable in SHIFT 1 and 2 and TDU2.

External view for me, I generally find if I use a first person view I end up clipping corners etc.

I always use the behind the car view.

I honestly cant understand in car views in games. You lose half the screen to look at a dashboard. I don't spend my entire life watching a dashboard in a real car, no reason to do it in game.

[quote user="SnailUK"]

I always use the behind the car view.

I honestly cant understand in car views in games. You lose half the screen to look at a dashboard. I don't spend my entire life watching a dashboard in a real car, no reason to do it in game.

[/quote]

I totally agree - always use the behind the car view. In car views make me feel ill to be honest.

With a rally game, i can set myself up for a corner far better when i use the behind car view as well.

Behind car for me too.

On certain games I use in car views they are Forza 3 and Shift. Otherwise games like Sega rally and Dirt it's  behind the car view.

Bonnet cam or cockpit for me on most racers.

Stuff like Burnout, NFS Hot Pursuit and games like GTA with driving in them I tend to go outside the car.