"Sorry, we can't change your Microsoft account right now. For more info, go to Xbox.com/AccountSwap."

I created a microsoft account on a new email that does not have a profile yet and I attempted to move Microsoft Account 1's gamer tag to that new microsoft account 3 but I got an error. I have NOT moved any gamer tag to any profile EVER so I have no idea why I am getting that error. This is my first time trying to move my gamertag for microsoft account 1 to microsoft account 3 (doesn't have a profile) since I want to move microsoft account 2's gamer tag to microsoft account 1's email. Thanks. 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 45 Applies to:
Answer

Have you thought about moving emails around instead of gamertags? In my experience it's generally easier with less errors! However, it would probably depend on if the Microsoft accounts have extra services attached to them (such as hotmail/outlook email) that you wouldn't want to lose since you'd be removing the emails from the accounts.

Let's look at it like this, with Email1 being the account associated with Gamertag1, and Email2 being associated with Gamertag2.

You would create a new email to temporarily associate with Gamertag2 (there's an easy outlook email setup during this process) and then remove the original email (Email2) from that account.

Then, add the now-free Email2 as an alias to the account with Email1 and Gamertag1.

Then, if you wish, you can remove Email1 and move it to the second account with the new email, effectively switching the two logins.

This way, Gamertag1 would be attached to Email2 and Gamertag2 would be attached to Email1.

If you wish to use the 3rd email, you would just need to go through the first steps to remove it from the account you created, then you can associate it with one of the other accounts.

I know that can get confusing. Fortunately, Xbox has a support article that does a much better job of explaining the process than I do. I assure you it's much easier than it sounds. :p

If you'd like to have someone available to help walk you through the process, remember that you can always chat with an Ambassador who will be happy to help give clearer step-by-step instructions.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.