"Record That" Game DVR feature fails over 75% of the time in BF4.

Symptom:

• Using "Record That" Feature either results in nothing recorded or a 1 second clip being recorded.
  • Using the snapped Game DVR app with "End Clip Now" results in nothing recorded or a recording that is far shorter than the target time specified.
  • Only occurs during network game play, single player games like "Dead Rising" appear to work correctly regardless of whether the Xbox is connected to the internet or not.
  • No error message is generated. Clip recording success messages are generated in snap view, and clip notification message indicate the recording completed normally. Issues with clip length only become obvious when trying to review the clips.
  • I can't say this is definitely related, but I have a "Day One" system, and two of my friends that are not having this issue, do not have "Day One" systems.

False Information From Previous Threads:

• The DVR process records to the cloud - This is obviously not totally true as I can record clip in "Dead Rising" when my network completely disconnected.
  • The system need to be updated/rebooted - I have confirmed I have the latest system update and I have hard rebooted my system including completely disconnecting the brick from the Xbox and the external power. I

Work Around Attempts:

• I have tried to use the snapped Game DVR app directly without using "Record That"
  • I have performed a hard reboot by holding down the Xbox button on the main unit until the brick light goes amber and the system reboots.
  • I have rebooted by shutting down then completely disconnecting the main unit from the power brick and the brick from any external power source.

Questions:

1. Is this a known issue?
  2. If yes, is it a hardware or software issue?
  3. If yes and it is a software issue, is there a known work around and is there an expected fix in an upcoming patch?
  4. If yes and it is a hardware issue, are there any special instructions for sending the unit in for repairs?
  5. If yes and it is a hardware issue, is the issue specific to "Day One" systems?
  6. If no, what is needed to have this identified as a real issue that needs to be addressed?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 15 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There is another thread I found on this. It seems to be a growing issue. I know I haven't had 1 video record right for over 2 weeks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It maybe a bad KINECT. Have you tried the KINECT on other console. And it work fine on there. Then I think there something wrong with your system. And if that the case. Called XBOX SUPPORT at 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ping

Sorry this didn't help.

Ping

Sorry this didn't help.

Ping

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also interested in a fix for this... extremely frustrating to find that the dozens of clips i thought i recorded were never recorded.

Sorry this didn't help.

ping

Additional Info:

I have tested and proven the game dvr can record successful even with the network completely disconnected, so this feature obviously has no direct dependency on cloud services or an online status. However, I performed additional tests trying to record clips in bf4 during matches with very low player counts (less than 20 participants) and in these cases the game dvr worked perfectly. Which implies the number of player in an online match affects the dvr's ability to record.

Does anyone have a clue about what could be causing this behavior?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure what's causing it.  It works fine on most consoles and not so good on others.  Luckily it has worked a couple times for awesome kills in BF4.  Hopefully it can be patched in the future.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, I however do not have a day one system (just got mine a couple days ago).

Doing a power drain (disconnecting from the wall and holding down the power button ) seems to get me to where I can record one 30 second clip if Im lucky using xbox record that. The game dvr function just wont record anything. Im pretty certain this is not a Kinect issue and really would be overjoyed to find a fix that would get me to be able to record my awesome battlefield moments =\

Edit: Try manually closing down anything else you have running by selecting it on your home page, hitting menu and selecting quit.

I'm leaning towards this being a system resource issue. Mayhap Battlefield is already running right up against the limits the  console can handle or has a memory leak that's causing this

Sorry this didn't help.

So after hours of investigation and reviewing many threads on this forum, I believe I have identified a plausible root cause and I can at least describe and answer to this issue that appears to have worked for me.

Possible Root Cause:

1. The game DVR does not appear to use dedicated resources to guarantee consistent performance.
  2. This means if you are playing a game that is a resource hog like BF4 64 player multiplayer you may already be at the edge of the systems ability to support this feature.
  3. If you then turn on additional features like the Kinect lean detection in BF4 you now overtax the system to the point where something has to give, and since the DVR is not essential to game play that is what gives first.

What Worked For Me:

• Return all game option setting to their default state, for me that meant turning the Kinect lean detection feature off. After doing this the game DVR started working correctly again even in 64 player matches.
  • Of lean or some other non-default game setting is just something you can't live without, try playing the medium size matches (32 player) and the DVR will probably start working again.

Other Things That Might Help:

• Manually quit all non-essential apps from the home screen. This is why a hard reboot may work temporarily for some people.

Sorry this didn't help.