"Rating Collection" A new mysterious feature Microsoft refuses to give answers on.

I've been contacting them about a new option in Audio -> Background Sounds called "Rating Collection Sounds" they have refused to give me an answer saying they have no idea what the feature is and that seems a bit odd since it just showed up in the most recent update (as of June 20th 2012) I've been trying to figure out what it is but I cannot find anything and I feel it's another feature Microsoft may be using to gather information on it's users.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 89 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Emotional Hobo"] I feel it's another feature Microsoft may be using to gather information on it's users.[/quote]Pull out the tin-foil hats.  

Actually, I have no idea what it is.  The only thing I found in a Google search was the same GamesFAQ board that you posted on.

As for the gathering info conspiracy.  They've been doing that long before this feature.  There is actually a clause in the Terms of Use that points it out. 

I know and there is nothing wrong with information gathering, the feature sounds like something for that, I didn't mean it in a negative way.

Looked around myself found the same info as you guys, hopefully someone finds out.

Ratings Collection Sound - This feature is only used by customers who participate in media rating panels such as those run by Nielson. This collectiong fgeature is off by default. WEhen enabled, a sound is played over your speakers. If you have a collection device supplied by Nielson this audio will be used to gather media data. If you are not participating in a ratings collection program, enabling this feature will not do anything.

Thanks for the info Hobo.

Oh and off topic i see the one star troll is lurking again. You do realize it has zero effect right? Or are you that lonely in life that its the only way you can get excitement? Have fun though its funny how you get so riled by forum users;)

^^ Don't feed "it." ^^ Thanks again Hobo :-)

-Jim

Not feeding just a snack.

Thanks for the info!

[quote user="W1LD SEVEN"]

Not feeding just a snack.

[/quote]"It" seems to be falling behind. LOL...Thanks again for the info.

-Jim

Actually I have notice something weird regarding this issue. I am using my AV Receiver for the sound with the Dolby Digital 5.1 Recorder and with the "Ratings Collection Sound (Background Sound)" I am getting a static sound, but when I turn it back off there is no more static. I still don't know the whole details, but that is one thing I have notice.