"Open Tray" Error

So my XBOX 360 Slim's warranty expired Sept 2011.  I have never had a problem with it until now.  2 nights ago I was playing "Skyrim" when a friend came over and wanted to play "Dead Island" coop.  I stopped playing the game a while ago because of the "corrupted data" glitch that was known for the game.  Decided to try it again anyway and was delighted to see a new update available for the game.  Whoo-Hoo...a fix hopefully.  So I downloaded the update as well as a system update that I didn't have and rebooted my console.  After restart my console wouldn't recognize the "Dead Island" disc in my tray, or any other disc now.  What happened?..I'm completely stumped.  I have followed all steps in the support section.  I really find it hard to believe this to be a "wearing out drive".  Its worked perfectly up until those two updates. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hey Grimms - thanks for your post. I noticed that you said you've tried all of the support steps - can I just confirm it was these steps you've tried? support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive-solution

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had Skyrim since the midnight release. It has been running beautifully especially for a huge game like Skyrim. Recently though my Xbox elite won't even come close to reading it. I sit there for twenty minutes tapping "open tray" and "close" until it works(if it works). My disc has some minor scratches but I don't think that's the cause...when I do get it to work it runs flawlessly, no freezes not even a hiccup. My Battlefield 3 works fine too..sometimes it doesn't read but then after two tries at the most it works. I've been real disappointed in Xbox recently. Whenever an issue arises (conveniently afer the warranty expires) they give you the run of the mill support list and then they happily will "repair" your box for a fee that's 1/4 of a new console. And if I want to try and clean the console that I payed for I forfeit any repairs through xbox. I'm on my 3rd xbox in that past 5 years. YOU CHARGE FOR YOUR OUTDATED XBL SERVICE! FIX YOUR PRODUCTS!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Chaplin! I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your console reading some games. For help with this issue, we'd like you to make a post in Forum 05 - Playing My Games. When you post there, let us know exactly how many games are having issues, if you have tried replacing them, and if they work in other consoles. Thank you for your consideration in this matter!

Sorry this didn't help.