"No Evidence" email after contacting support about fraudulent charges. Advice?

I'm curious if anyone might be able to offer me advice on my scenario here, or even just let me know if this is the usual, and I just need to suck it up.  Sorry that this is a long post, but I want to be thorough, and vent a little.

I recently went to make a few purchases of XBLA games from my console, and found that I didnt have any points.  I didnt remember spending them, and did remember loading another 4000 point card recently, so I should have had plenty of points.  I looked at my console download history and everything looked good.

Wanting to be thorough, I went onto my live account online, and looked at my "points" history, and saw some Sims stuff had been purchased.  "Uh oh".  I really dont 'get' the whole Sims thing, and know I didnt make those purchases.

I call support, they walk me through some stuff, and keep having me try to re-download the stuff to my console.  Neither the support guy nor myself can find it anywhere.  Finally it turns out that the points were spent through GFWL.  I havent ever used GFWL before, so yeah, obviously my account has been compromised.  No other fraudulent activity, my password is still fine, and I didnt have any credit cards on file.  I changed my password, and he started the investigation process.  He said this looked like a pretty easy case and not to worry about it, although it may take up to 25 days for the investigation to complete.

Fast forward to yesterday, I get an email from Xbox support saying that I will be pleased to know there is "No evidence of unauthorized access" to my account.  Which is all well and good, except that I called in specifically because of evidence, in the form of purchases I did not make.

I called support again, and this is where it really broke down.  First I got told to dispute the charges with my bank.  Seeing as they were just points, I'm not certain what good that would do.  Then I get told they dont have access to information from the investigation, nor can I speak with anyone who does.  They reccomended I contact the local police department. 

I asked if there was any way to block GFWL purchases going forward.  There is not.  She suggests I add a passcode to make purchases.  That sounds like a great idea, but halfway through setting it up, she lets me know that the passcode will only come up when making purchases from the console itself.  Again, totally not what I want.

I could go on to vent about a bunch more useless suggestions, but the bottom line is that Support insists I made this purchase, and cannot even provide what evidence they have of this.  The fact that they keep telling me I can access the game on my console really tells me that they arent even understanding the problem.  I dont game on the PC.  The purchase was not for a console game.  If I were going to play a PC game, it certainly wouldnt be Sims.

I asked her to submit another investigation.  I am very frustrated at the lack of customer service so far.  The amount of points in question is only about $40 worth, but good customer service would be for MicroSoft to either take care of that, or actually explain why they cant.  I would accept either of these.  I love my Xbox.  We have three of them in our household, and we play more games on them than any of my other consoles.  If this support scenario is unusual, then I can chalk it up to a bad customer service experience.  They happen.  But if this is standard procedure, and MS really cares that little to even try to make a long time customer happy, then I probably will choose to list a lot of gaming equipment up on CraigsList.  I happily spend lots of money on products I support, but I expect at least a little customer service in return.

Thanks to anyone who reads this.  This was as much to vent as to ask for advice.  I'd love it if I got a few responses that this wasnt normal, and that I should expect a follow up resulting in things getting taken care of.  If anyone knows of any way to contact people about an appeal for an investigation, that would be good, too.  The support person said there was no way to do it.  I asked if I could speak with her supervisor, and the supervisor also said there was no way to appeal, or to speak with anyone higher up.  I just have an exceptionally bad taste in my mouth about this whole experience right now.

(edited to add proper line breaks)

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey I read your post and the whole thing sounds quite rediculous. I have noticed however that many people experience severe troubles with Microsoft phone support; I once spent over 2 and a half hours trying to get the person that I got the 3 red lights (mind you it was about 2 years back and my 4th console). I am not convinced that Microsoft actually cares much about their customers.

On a related topic, I for one am amazed by the fact the only way to cancel auto-renewal is to phone them up so Ive actually posted here on this forum a few hours ago trying to get somebody to change it for me (as I no longer even have access to a phone) and am still awaiting a reply of some sort.

In a nutshell, even if you enjoy the console, its unlikely you will get any support from MS when it goes wrong (which it damn well does!)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

CISphil:

Honestly, this is the first "bad" CS experience I've had with them.  I'm on around my 5th (maybe 6th?) primary console, due to numerous previous RROD issues.  That said, each time they were under warranty, phone support took care of me without too much of a hassle, despite it taking a while.  Basically, the process was a bit inconvenient, but eventually got taken care of, so I was good with it.  I've worked for big corporations before, and the amount of red tape that the average CSR has to deal with is pretty horrid, so I expect to need to jump through some hoops.

As far as cancelling your auto-renewal though, I think I saw that option when I was mucking around in my account management for live.com, while looking at my purchase history.  I think you might be able to do it from there, rather than holding for phone support.  I've always used pre-paid cards, so I've never had to bother with that before.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there! I'm terribly sorry to hear about all the confusion. One thing I wanted to clarify from your post is that you said you asked to open a new investigation, but did they actually start a new one? Did they give you an SR# for the new investigation? Did they give you any expectation on when this new investigation would be resolved?

Sorry this didn't help.

@XdovienyaX

That's fair enough what you said about the amount of time it takes and I do understand it but I have heard a lot of people who have had communication issues such as the operator not understanding, or struggling to speak the correct language. I dont really mind if they take a bit and it gets sorted but I thought to add that as it is still quite annoying.

Also thanks for trying to help but that just led me full circle to having to contact them by phone but I shouldnt clog your post up more with my problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Mister Gwyther,

Thank you for the response.  Yes, I did get a new SR number for the new investigation.  I can provide it if you like, but am not certain that things like that should be posted on a public forum.  I did not get any indication of what I should expect from this new investigation, other than that it is most likely a waste of time and I'm stuck.  Honestly, I suspect that that is the case as well, after having spent some time on these forums reading about similar issues.   Looking at what other people have gone through, I guess I should just be glad that whoever got onto my account didnt migrate it to another country.

Sorry this didn't help.

i have just noticed 51quid go from my bank account on the 3rd of this month,spent on 6000 microsoft points,but not by me.i cant find evidence of any downloads or where the points have gone??????

wtf!!!!!!!!

andy

Sorry this didn't help.

Dovie: Yes, please PM it to me (envelope icon below).

Andy: Please contact phone support (support.xbox.com/contact-us) to start an Unauthorized Access investigation.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dovie they told you to call the cops too?  I laughed at phone support when they told me that!  My response was ok so your saying that a NY cop is going to go to Russia and arrest the guy who migrated my account, you know the police are going to laugh at me right?  He assured me that they would not laugh at me..............yeah right lol

Anyways Dovie it sucks it seems MS is great with replacing consoles for the RROD, I myself have had this replacement, but when it comes to account security issues there is a lot to be desired.  It is true the main customer service people on phone support do not have access to the investigation team.  Which is also unfortunate because it is not uncommon to listen to a CS agent contradict themselves if your on the phone long enough.

I do hope your case gets resolved have them put a note in to check the IPs of where this purchase was made they should be able to check that and see if it is remotely close to a usual user of your account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mister Gwyther:  I'll PM it to you tonight once I get home to where I have it written down.

Andyathome: I would reccomend doing what Mister Gwyther said immediately.  Also, I had a similar problem finding where my points got spent.  Finally I found it when I logged in to my live account at "billing.microsoft.com", and looked at my "points history".  That was the only spot I could find that listed that someone emptied my point balance on the sims, which turned out to be a GFWL game, rather than an xbox game.  It sounds like yours might have been used similarly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sentnel: Yeah, I really dont know what the local police would do about this, unless the suggestion is that I would need a subpoena or such in order to get a copy of the findings of the investigation.  I was on the phone for a very long time the other night, and definitely had more than a few contradictions.  But I also know I had the CSR in a crummy situation, with an unhappy customer on the phone, and, at least apparently, no way to actually help them.

If the investigations team dropped me a note that the purchase was made from my IP or something and therefore they arent able to take care of it, then okay, I'd accept that.  I know I'm not trying to scam them, but I'll accept that that would look fishy, and hint at a major problem with my own network security.  However, I'll be surprised if the IP address that made the purchase was from a state I've ever even been in, if it even originated in this country in the first place.  

Really, I just want a good customer service experience, which to me would either be a response of "We're sorry, we can't help you with this, and here is an actual reason why...", or of "Hold on, let us fix that for you."

Also, having read your story on here:  Ouch.  I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles.  Honestly, it made me feel somewhat fortunate with mine.

Sorry this didn't help.