"Major" Microsoft Announcment on Monday 6/18

Several media outlets are reporting receiving cryptic invites to a "mysterious" Microsoft media announcement on Monday. No word on what it is about, but what has been mentioned is that it is "major", "big", shouldn't be missed, etc.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57453383-92/mysterious-microsoft-media-event-coming-june-18/

https://mashable.com/2012/06/14/microsoft-media-event-june-18/

Nothing but speculation right now, but some think this could be the announcement of the next Xbox, which would indeed be major. MS wouldn't have announced a new console at E3 given they woudn't want to share the stage with anyone.

Here's to hoping that this is about the new Xbox 720/Infinity/insert name of your choice.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would like it to be a new Xbox, but I'm quite happy with my 360 at the moment, do we actually need a new Xbox THAT much, I don't think so to be honest.

[quote user="Marwood II 87"]

I would like it to be a new Xbox, but I'm quite happy with my 360 at the moment. Do we actually need a new Xbox THAT much? I don't think so to be honest.

[/quote]

We don't need a new system right now, but with the jumps in technology, I'd love to have a new system by 2015. Plus, Microsoft said that the XBOX 360 console was part of a 10 year cycle. That means that since it debuted in 2005, 2015 is the end of that cycle. So if it is an announcement of the XBOX 720, we're probably still at least a year or two away from release.

Hopefully Microsoft learned from all of the mistakes that were made with the XBOX 360 (Both RROD and backing the HDDVD format ) in the development of XBOX 720.

Probably a new PC or something or phone tablet etc. If it was the next xbox I'm pretty sure they would have showed it at E3!

[quote user="Kevman7987"]

[quote user="Marwood II 87"]

I would like it to be a new Xbox, but I'm quite happy with my 360 at the moment. Do we actually need a new Xbox THAT much? I don't think so to be honest.

[/quote]

We don't need a new system right now, but with the jumps in technology, I'd love to have a new system by 2015. Plus, Microsoft said that the XBOX 360 console was part of a 10 year cycle. That means that since it debuted in 2005, 2015 is the end of that cycle. So if it is an announcement of the XBOX 720, we're probably still at least a year or two away from release.

Hopefully Microsoft learned from all of the mistakes that were made with the XBOX 360 (Both RROD and backing the HDDVD format ) in the development of XBOX 720.

[/quote]I think we need to take into account that while they want a 10-year lifecycle for the Xbox 360, that doesn't necessary mean they will wait 10-years to release new hardware.

I think its possible that they could release new hardware and still support the Xbox 360. For instance, if backwards compatibility is a non-issue, then they could release a new system next year, and spend the next 1-2 years completing the lifecycle of the 360. They could market it towards the media/casual market at a cheaper price as well. The 360 could continue to receive arcade games for instance (which would also be compatibile with the new Xbox) while most retail games would go to the new system. By the time it is ready to retire the 360, the new system's price could down enough for the more casual market to begin to adopt it.

All-in-all, I think such a phased strategy would work better for the Xbox brand.

[quote user="Nielo TM"]

It's Windows RT based tablets

www.engadget.com/.../microsoft-plans-major-announcement-for-monday-june-18th

[/quote]Microsoft is confirming the L.A. event but is not offering any details on what will be covered.

[quote user="Nielo TM"]

It's Windows RT based tablets

www.engadget.com/.../microsoft-plans-major-announcement-for-monday-june-18th

[/quote]

It might or might not be. The only confirmation that we have is about meeting and the major announcement. There is absolutely no conformation on what the major announcement actually is. We will have to wait and see.

Announce the new console !!!

Nielo!

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey. Long time. We have to chat sometime.