"Cone NAT" issues

So I've spent the better part of the past week in an attempt to get a clean, open NAT for my Xbox One. It initially was almost constantly showing up as "strict" with the MP test describing the network as being "behind a port preserving, port symmetric NAT". I've since bought a new router (and the problems persisted initially) and had my ISP bridge my DSL modem to avoid whatever double NAT issues may have been present. Now the NAT shows up as "open" when I run the connection test, but when I do the MP test and then hit the shoulder buttons for the specifics, it still says it's behind a "cone NAT". The main symptom I seem to be encountering is no incoming sound from the majority of other players when I'm playing something on Live. I'll see the name and mic pop up that indicate someone is talking, but there's no sound through to my headset. I'll have a few people's voice that comes through, but others in the same session give nothing.

I've tried every trick in the book. Forwarding ports, no good. Always get a "port not open or reachable" message when I try the port check tool.

uPnP enabled/disabled hasn't seemed to make a noteworthy difference.

Putting the Xbox in the DMZ hasn't seemed to do much, either. It sometimes seems OK, but then the same issues reappear.

There's one "enable NAT" setting in my router that is checked as on, but if I disable it, I'm unable to connect to the internet at all. I'm not sure if that's the final thing i need to find a workaround for, or if I'm just getting some bizarre conflict.

My router is an Asus RT-N66R (from what I've gathered, it's largely identical to an RT-N66U). If anyone has any experience with similar issues, some advice would be appreciated. I'm at my wits end with this, and I'm hoping there's some dumb, simple solution that I've overlooked to this point. Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2,657 Applies to:
Answer

Greetings xo5N47CHF4C3ox!

If you haven't already, please go ahead and start a fresh new thread with a detailed description of your situation, along with any error code you are getting and any troubleshooting steps you have tried so far.

In order to save yourself some time, please read: forums.xbox.com/.../1621667.aspx and post back in full detail (the bits in bold), so that people trying to help can have a better understanding of your situation.

FYI: When you held down triggers and bumpers all together after you'd run the Multiplayer Connection test, what you console is actually doing is that it send out information to delete the existing PortMapping for the required ports for Xbox traffic and add a new PortMapping. If you simply were to run the Multiplayer Connection test, you wouldn't see the same results through a debug process, because these values are actually cached values.

If your console is getting diagnosed with NAT beaviour of a Cone NAT, that would mean it's diagnosed with the least restrictive form of NAT behavior, which is where you want to go.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

A cone NAT is a good thing. Per Microsoft, cone NAT works best with and is recommended for Xbox Live.

download.microsoft.com/.../Xbox-Live.doc

So, that is not your problem.  Getting a "port not open" etc. message with port check tools is normal because the Xbox isn't actually listening on the ports you likely checked. Despite what many here recommend under the mistaken belief it is needed (largely due to misleading information on the MS support site), these are the only ports you need to forward:

88 UDP

3074 TCP and UDP

and if you have COD Ghosts, also:

3075 TCP and UDP

3076 TCP and UDP

With your router, you should not even have to forward ports, just enable UPnP (pretty sure that router has a good UPnP implementation even with stock firmware).  Just delete all port forwards and DMZ (it is rarely a good idea for home users to use DMZ) and enable UPnP.  If you are somewhat adventurous, you can flash your particular model router with superior third-party firmware. I use Tomato, but you may want to start with RMerlin, which is just an improved version of the stock Asus firmware (Asus even incorporates some of his changes into the official firmware, which is open source).  Even if you stick with the official Asus firmware, do make sure it has been updated to the latest version (via the web interface).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.