" Crafting " in video games

Hello everyone  :)

I really hate it when I play a game that relies heavily in " crafting " you weapons and gear.  I don't mind having a little bit of " crafting ", but when the game forces you to craft stuff just to get the basic version of that gear / weapon; that is where I draw the line.

A perfect example of crafting that I can tolerate is in Diablo 3 (not Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition because I hate the changes that Blizzard made here) because using crafted gear is 100% optional as the game provides you with gear / weapons outside of crafting.

Another perfect example of this is TES4: Oblivion where I simply just buy healing stuff instead of making them myself.

What do guys think about " crafting " in video games?

Have a nice day or afternoon or night everyone  :)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't mind upgrading but I dislike having to find items then crafting them, the menus for crafting always look too complicated for me.

Hello "DWoodine"  :)

I hate looking for the materials required to make weapons / gear because it kills the excitement of playing the game.

Have a nice day or afternoon or night "DWoodbine"  :)

Well, I played Minecraft for about 6 hours yesterday (give or take), so I'm guessing that I don't mind it at all.

It depends on the game, but I like how with certain games, you can actually learn something about crafting things in real life. For example, in MC, someone might learn that you can heat up sand to extreme temperatures in order to make glass (since you can "cook" sand in a furnace to do exactly that in MC). ;)    

Hello "Galactic Geek"  :)

Despite my patience for grinding games like Diablo 3 and Destiny, it doesn't mean that I have the patience to collect the crafting materials to create my gear / weapons LOL  :)

Have a nice day or afternoon or night "Galactic Geek"  :)

I personally love crafting in games. I love games that have deep crafting options.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Hello "brandiesel1"  :)

I am really happy for you and everyone else who like having a deep crafting system in their games  :)

Have a nice day or afternoon or night "brandiesel"  :)

I like it,a good way to give me an excuse to explore more and more,open world maps....

Also,these feature is more and more common in video games (open world,RPG,ect...)

It gives us more "freedom"  to progress in games.

Before,the only way was "to open the right chest",now i can craft it,if i want to.

It's always optional I play tons of those games you're referring to but never craft my gear and do just fine

I love crafting.  And love when it is optional.  That way everyone can enjoy.  

The only thing with the crafting is that there needs to be items that are only obtainable in crafting to make it worth while.  And the system needs to be "deep" and fun.  But the items need to be unnecessary to playing the game.  If the crafted item is necessary to defeat certain enemies or level that just is not fun to me.  But if they provide cool features if one so choses to get them then that is great.

Basically, you can play the adventure.  You can get enchanted armor or something.  But if you so chose you can collect things.  Enchant or whatever pieces of armor and level your skill in that area.  And you can create enhanced armor.  Even enhancing armor you find that is already enhanced.  

One of my favorite things is the chameleon effect in Oblivion.  I had over 100% and could hit characters and they would say the dumbest things.  Well, except guards.  They could see you no matter what.

Hello everyone  :)

As long as the crafting is 100% optional and the game provides the player with weapons / gear, then I am cool with that  :)

What I am not cool with is the fact that a game will force you to find the materials to create you weapons / gear because you can't find or buy them at all  :(

Have a nice day or afternoon or night everyone  :)