Questions and Concerns about having an Xbox One in a Media Closet:

I am hoping someone official can shed light on these questions/concerns regarding having an X1 in a media closet in a different room:

1)  Will there be an extension cord for the kinect 2.0 that will allow us to keep our X1's in a media closet more than 10ft away.

2)  Will the TV/Cable (HDMI INPUT) function be able to work with the X1 in a media closet where the cable box is located if the Kinect is in another room.

These are very important concerns I have and I am sure other share them as well.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Discussion Info

Last updated November 19, 2018 Views 254 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You may have to wait for the kinect cable answer....Maybe they will release extensions at some point in the future?? Who knows??

So you want to put the console in a media closet and put the kinect in another room??? I dont see a problem with that you just wont be using voice controls

If an extension cable for the kinect is offered (by third party or microsoft) then you should have no problem using a kinect in another room to control all features (though I am not sure if the cable length will affect latency). You just have to wait and see if an extender comes out, or take a chance and buy a console with the hopes that one will come out eventually. PS-the microphone is on the kinect, so if there is a extender released you will be able to use voice controls in another room

Right. I get that. The kinect will be under the TV but the console will be in a media closet.  

From what I have read the IR blaster is in the kinect, so I am wondering if the cable/tv functionality will be lost on those that have media closets...

I hope MS has thought this through as if this is to be more than a game machine they must realize that people who have home theaters will most likely not have their setups under the TV...

Does the X1 come with an IR blaster since there is a port on the back of the console for one?

Kinect has a proprietary plug, so you can't just use a regular extender cable. Right now there's no extender available, so you either need to put your X1 next to your TV, or not use the Kinect.

Actually the IR Port on the back of the X1 is not proprietary and solved half of my problem I had once I unopened my X1 on launch day.  I keep my X1 in a media closet with my cable box and all other components, so upon install the Kinect cable was to short to sit under the TV.  I hooked up the X1 in my living room with long HDMI cables to my receiver and cable box but as I figured, the Kinect would not/could not control the cable box in the cabinet since they were in separate rooms.

All of a sudden I remembered buying a slingbox years ago and having a bunch of leftover IR cords.  Well lo and behold they worked in the IR port of my X1!!!  So I got my setup to work in my media closet now!  Granted the cable is still too short for the kinect, but I at least ran the kinect to my living room (barely made it with it's short cord) and can now use all voice controls AND have my cable box work as well.  

After a day of troubleshooting I can say that the X1 is a home theater aficionado's dream!  It works seamlessly.

A side note for tuning the kinect; when doing the audio calibration, turn your speakers up as loud as it the calibration will let you!  you may have to restart it a few times because youll get a message that it is too loud, but when you get it tuned you can control the kinect with a whisper! It truly does work great!

So All I need is an extension cable and my setup will be 100% complete.  Luckily this time MS didn't rely on motion controls and the voice controls work great.  

[quote user="Trip Se7en"]

Actually the IR Port on the back of the X1 is not proprietary and solved half of my problem I had once I unopened my X1 on launch day.  I keep my X1 in a media closet with my cable box and all other components, so upon install the Kinect cable was to short to sit under the TV.  I hooked up the X1 in my living room with long HDMI cables to my receiver and cable box but as I figured, the Kinect would not/could not control the cable box in the cabinet since they were in separate rooms.

All of a sudden I remembered buying a slingbox years ago and having a bunch of leftover IR cords.  Well lo and behold they worked in the IR port of my X1!!!  So I got my setup to work in my media closet now!  Granted the cable is still too short for the kinect, but I at least ran the kinect to my living room (barely made it with it's short cord) and can now use all voice controls AND have my cable box work as well.  

After a day of troubleshooting I can say that the X1 is a home theater aficionado's dream!  It works seamlessly.

A side note for tuning the kinect; when doing the audio calibration, turn your speakers up as loud as it the calibration will let you!  you may have to restart it a few times because youll get a message that it is too loud, but when you get it tuned you can control the kinect with a whisper! It truly does work great!

So All I need is an extension cable and my setup will be 100% complete.  Luckily this time MS didn't rely on motion controls and the voice controls work great.  

[/quote]

Any chance you have another IR blaster that will work with the X1 that you would sell? I need one. Or what is the size of the plug? 3.5mm? Thanks!

MS needs to come out with an extension soon.  Lots of us have media rooms and cannot move the XBONE to the front of the room.  I need a 10-15' cable.

I have one extra  which I am kind of hesitant on selling because I am not sure of the rarity of them since the one I have isn't even proprietary...

Send me an invite on XBL and if you have exhausted all searches, I might be able to help you out in a week or so.