Question about wear and tear concerning TV pass thru

I have used the pass through for my TV, but I have a few concerns. 

I am really worried that keeping my Xbox One turned on the entire time that I watch TV will cause a lot of wear and tear on the system. I mean...my TV runs most of the day long......so this means my Xbox One will be ON like 16-20 hours a day. Is this OK? I was hoping that the pass thru would work as a connector even when the system is off. 

1. does is still work when the Xbox sleeps or hibernates? and where are the settings to change how quick the xbox will hibernate?

I have seen the setting that allow the xbox to turn off within an hour or 6 hours but is this the same as hibernating? It will be fine for me but not sure if everyone in my house will understand how to turn regular TV back on every time the xbox goes to sleep.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 89 Applies to:

valid concern if you ask me.

Ours too stays on quite a bit.

Right now due to DirectTV wanting to rob us to upgrade to a HDMI capable box we are not able to use the Xbox to it's full potential but we want to be able to use this function as well.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I dont have a answer but I can share this. I have my DTV running through my XB1. I have my power settings set to turn off XB1 after hour of inactivity. I usually fall a sleep with the TV on and the other morning I woke up and my XB1 was off but my TV was still playing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Was it "off" or "sleeping"........I am just curious as to what the difference is and does the light look different when sleeping?

Sorry this didn't help.

amber is off white is standbye/on

Sorry this didn't help.

Does the power setting choices of 1 hour and 6 hour actually turn it off or on standbye?

If not....how much inactivity happens before standbye?

Sorry this didn't help.

I really hope MS will give us more options with this kind of thing instead of making the choices for us.  Why do we only get to choose 1 hour or 6 hours?

Also regarding the sleep/off timer, if people are walking in front of Kinect, does this reset the timer?  I noticed that some times when I pause a game for a while, the screen dims (like it always has) but when I went to continue playing and stepped in front of connect, it lit back up to full brightness like it would if I had pressed a button on the controller.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think it would but you could probably turn the kinect recognize off. I'm still confused as to how the Kinect knows which controller to pair the profile with just because it sees it in the screen.

Sorry this didn't help.

But I have still not had the question answered....is the 1 hour/6 hour setting turning the system off or putting it to sleep? If it's not the sleep option then after what exact time does the xbone sleep?

Sorry this didn't help.

But I have still not had the question answered....is the 1 hour/6 hour setting turning the system off or putting it to sleep? If it's not the sleep option then after what exact time does the xbone sleep?

and if so....when it does sleep does my TV still run or do I have to say "Xbox On" ...to make the TV work again.

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe the OFF timer will function differently depending on your power save settings. It will turn OFF if you set it to not use instant on. But it will 'hibernate' (use command "Xbox On") if you have instant on enabled.

Now a days, wear and tear isn't much of a concern when leaving electronics on. It's been a long debated topic as to whether or not you should leave your computers running all the time or not. And really, there isn't a right or wrong answer. I leave my personally built computer running 24/7.  The only time I completely turn it off is if I'm going to be out of town for a few days or something. So I will treat my xbox the same way. Plus it's pretty awesome walking into my living room and saying "Xbox On" and watching my Xbox, TV, and cable box all come to life :-P

EDIT:
Forgot your second question. If you are running your cable box through the Xbox1 then the xbox DOES have to be on in order to watch TV.

Sorry this didn't help.