Question about Live Gold subscription

So I created a new gamertag on my previously owned console about a week or so ago. I read in places that creating a new gamertag gives you the option of a free one month subscription to Live Gold for a new account. As I understand it, the only way you can get this is through the three free subscriptions that come with new consoles, the option being given at the screen where you choose your subscription. As I said, my console is second hand and it never gave me that option, so I assume the previous owner used the three free ones. I got an email about an hour ago from Microsoft stating that I was eligible for a free one month subscription. I'm confused because it seemed like the previous owner had used up the freebies. Is this some random stroke of luck, or did my console still have a freebie on it? My sister created a new tag when she purchased her console second hand, yet she wasn't sent an email.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I guess the console had the freebie and you got it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Usually when creating a new gamertag in a console, the free month option is presented right away to the user in the console dashboard, not via e-mail ( this may have changed ).

What could have happened is that Microsoft is offering a free month to new users. This way,  when you registered your new account Microsoft send you an message offering the freebie.

In both cases, just enjoy the gift.

Cheers.

Sorry this didn't help.

When it first offers you Gold, it's with prices. If you say no to that, it gives you the offer.

If you've already finished creating the account, you can't get the free trial.

An after the fact email wouldn't change it, so the email may be a separate special random offer for you.

Sorry this didn't help.